HARVRD HISTORICAL SOCIETY.

At half-past seven last evening, Sander's theatre was well filled both by Harvard students and an unusually large number of outsiders, who had assembled to hear Col. Thomas L. Lovermore's lecture on "The Northern Volunteers," it being the last of the admirable course of lectures given under the auspices of the lectures given under the auspices of the society. The lecturer was received with much applause by the audience, and commenced his lecture with a brief summary of the number of volunteers who served. About 4,000,000 were ready for active service, but only 2,000,000 were actually engaged and came to the front. Our volunteers were most favorably to be compared with any continental army. There was no hesitation on their part to offer themselves when their services were demanded by the United States. Moreover, little distinction as there was between officers and men, since both in private life were in many cases of equal position, the men obeyed and respected their commanders, and to this must attributed much of their success. The officers themselves, although at first unskilled in military life, by their earnest and steadfast work soon geined the necessary knowledge, and generally proved able men than the greater part of the regular line greater part of the regular line commanders. The discipline of the volunteers was admirable, since a bond of friendship bound together men and officers. It is said, indeed, that only seven military executions took place among them, and although this is probably under-estimated, yet, the need of such severe measures was exceedingly rare.

The science of volunteer commanders, crude as it might be, was by the active co-operationand passive obedience of their men made equal to all emergencies, and the endurance shown by the raw troops, in spite of poor rations, cooking and health regulations, was astounding. The army of the Potomac averaged twenty-five miles per day on several marches, and some other marches, both of union and confederate troops, compare favorably with, nay exceed the European average rate of fast marching. There was little or no pillage committed by our volunteers, and even when greatly incensed they were always subservient to their officers, although eatables were always appropriated, for the military fare was by no means savory. As a rule, the American volunteer was not impulsive; and, from his stoical and quiet demeanor, under favorable or adverse circumstances, he has gained the name from some critics of being apathetic. This is not so. The menwere fighting for the Union and not for any glory or financial gain, and they gave their lives simply and quietly, to keep the Union whole. A pure patriotism inspired them, and with grave faces they looked on every battle gained which made the Union firmer, but filled them with grief at the loss of comrades, who, in many instances, had been their boyish playmates. Two traits were remarkable in our volunteers, steadfastness and tenacity. No surprise, no flight or severe fire of the enemy, threw them into a panic; and, in cases where a regiment was routed, all the rest of the division stood firm to the onset for the enemy. the lecture proved to be a most interesting one, and was greatly appreciated by the audience. The Historical Society will probably next year give a course of lectures on the Civil War, delivered by old Confederate commanders, and undoubtedly will reap the thanks of the many who have enjoyed the present course of lectures.