THE POLITICAL ECONOMY DEPARTMENT FOR 1884-85.

This department will remain much the same next year as it is this, the present high standard of excellence being maintained. The same instructors will remain and the usefulness of the department will not be crippled Courses 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 remain unchanged. Course 7, which Professor Dumbar gave this year, will be omitted. In its place a new halfcourse, numbered 8, on the "Financial Legislation of the United States," will be conducted by Mr. Taussig. It is intended that this and Mr. Taussig's other half course, 6, on the "Tariff Legislation of the United States," shall be taken together. Where such is the case, students will only have to take one examination for both courses, making the work easier. This is a good plan, as the courses are of a kindred nature, and can be studied most advantageously in the same year. This slight change in the political economy department shows that the gentlemen having it in charge are looking forward, and that as long as the college supports the department financially it is likely to remain the success which it now is.