THE CELEBRATION.

THE NINE ARE WELCOMED BACK IN ROYAL STYLE.

On Monday night the nine came home from its vi9ctorious trip away from Cambridge. The celebration which took place must have reminded the Cambridge residents within hearing of the fourth of July, Commencement, and several other holidays combined. As soon as the news of the victory at Amherst arrived, preparations began to be made to welcome the victors back to college. At 8.30 the brass band in a barge, and several teams left Cambridge for Boston to meet the nine at the Albany station. At 10.30 the train arrived, and a procession was at once formed. In the van was a large barge, from which colored firs were burned. Next followed the band barge and then came the nine in the band barge and than came the nine in another large team. Several herdics, carriages and branches brought up the rear. Out over Beacon street they made their way, the band playing gaily, and the students cheering heartily. Meantime, in Cambridge, and especially near the square and along Harvard street, the crowds of men began to collect in expectation of the coming fun, many amusing themselves with firing cannon crackers and Roman candles. About eleven o'clock the long fool was beaten on a drum by some one near Beck Hall and colored fires onall the

stone posts of the yard along Harvard street were lighted. The scene was an extremely fantastic and beautiful one. The crowded streets and the brilliant lights must have pleased the nine as they drove along the street in the midst of the procession. Continuous cheers went up from men standing in the street until the barges drew up in front of Bartlett's. There the band played "Yale Men Say," and the crowd joined in singing the popular air. Soon a huge procession, consisting of almost all the men in college, and headed by the brass band, marched around the yard with the wildest enthusiasm. The parietal committee forbade the band to play in the yard and the crowd dispersed, only to collect again for cheering the nine and to listen to the singing of the Glee Club in front of Matthews. This was much enjoyed until a little after 12 o'clock a proctor forbade any more singing. During all this time the yard was bright with the rockets, mines, candles and huge crackers, making a pretty show. The credos now began to disperse gradually, and by 12.30 it seemed as if the yard was practically deserted. The appearance of a wagon filled with lighted barrels near Thayer, soon brought up a large crowd from all directions. When this had been hauled out of the yard it burned brightly for some time and the crowd again began to disperse until all was again quiet. Such a display of enthusiasm has not been seen here for years. The Saturday's jubilee was overshadowed in almost every respect. The students were all out to see the fun and the wish of all seemed to be that the nine should win again and give Harvard moe cause for rejoicing.