COLUMBIA-HARVARD.

THE HARVARD EIGHT WINS THE RACE AT NEW LONDON.

But little doubt of the result of yesterday's university race over the Thames course at New London was felt on the part of those men at college who take sufficient interest in boating matters to follow closely the criticisms of the several college crews which from time to time appear in the college press, and in the boating reports of the principal daily papers. From both these sources the only impression that could be gained was that the university crew which Columbia sent to the Thames this year was, at best, of no greater strength and skill than those which have for the few previous years contested for the honors with our own representative eight.

The result of yesterday's race, however, is but a fresh example of the little reliance which can be placed upon estimates of a crew's efficiency which are based only upon the reports of its performances prior to the decisive contest. The crew which represented the Blue and White in this season's race is one of which Columbia may well be proud, and our own crew, too, has every reason to congratulate itself upon its success in crossing the finish in the lead, for its opponents proved themselves, by their splendid rowing, to be no unworthy rivals.

As the event proved, our expectations that another victory would be scored to our credit were not without foundation. The steady work which our crew has performed has gained its proper reward. The fact, too, that our victory was gained over such strong antagonists adds greater satisfaction to our success. Too much cannot be said in praise of the eight oarsmen who so stubbornly fought for a victory for Columbia. They have shown by their splendid work of yesterday that Columbia need have no cause for discouragement, for a crew that can make such a record may be confidently expected to show even better results in the future.

For the following details of the event we are indebted to the Boston Globe, from whose special dispatches they are gathered.

After a slight delay, caused by rough water on the course, the boats were sent into position. Columbia had won the toss, and had chosen the west side of the course. At the word both crews got away in good form, though Columbia had manifestly the advantage of the start.

When the first quarter was reached, Columbia had a lead of nearly a third of a length, which was partly owing to the fact that our crew had caught two crabs in covering this distance. At this point Harvard was pulling 37 strokes to Columbia's 39.

From the quarter to the half mile our boat gained gradually on its rival, and at the beginning of the second half mile was a length to the good. Both crews now settled down to steady work, and finished the first mile in nearly the same relative position as at the first mile. The second mile was rowed at about the same speed as the first by our crew, but the Columbia men quickened their stroke so that the third mile was begun with the boats almost bow and bow.

At the fifth half-mile buoy the long swing of Harvard began to show its effect, and the fourth and last mile was begun with our boat seven seconds in the lead.

At this point our bow oar showed signs of weakening, and the stroke and number four in the Columbia boat gave evidences of the terrible strain. The Columbia men at the end of the third mile were pulling 39 strokes to our 35.

The last mile was one continuous spurt on Columbia's part to make up the lost distance, but though the effort was nobly sustained it was ineffectual, and our crew came over the line winner by a length, pulling 37 strokes to Columbia's 40. The time was. Harvard, 24m. 21s.; Columbia, 24m. 39s. The officials of the race were as follows: Referee, L. K. Hull, of Yale. Judges: For Columbia, Jasper Goodwin, G. C. Dempsey; for Harvard, R. C. Watson, A. Keith. Timekeepers, A. C. Cornell, A. T. French.