Practice of the Nine and Eleven.

Jarvis was lined with a crowd of over two hundred students, yesterday afternoon, who closely watched the work of the eleven, or rather of the men who are trying for places on the eleven. There were present on the field twenty-three men, who played a fairly interesting game. Many new faces were noticed among the players, '87 being especially prominent. The presence of Wesselhoeft, '84, and Cabot, '86, seemed to give promise of better things for the team. Bemis, Colony, and Foster, of '85, also took part in the game. The work was earnest throughout, and fairly creditable for the time of year, some fine kicking by the backs being worthy of notice.

Meanwhile another knot of students was assembled behind the backstop on Holmes watching the practice of the nine, under the direction of Captain Phillips. Of this there is nothing worthy of especial mention, as the summer's inactivity had somewhat put the men out of form. It is a good sign that so many men were present to encourage the players, and it is to be hoped that the numbers will not decrease as the season advances.