The Amherst Nine AND ITS PROSPECTS FOR THE COMING SEASON.

From the Yale News we take the following account of the Amherst nine. Indications show that, like Dartmouth, Amherst hopes to secure a leading position in this year's championship struggle, and that the nine which it will place in the field this spring will be equal, if not superior, to its team of last year.

The News says: Amherst is encouraged to feel that her ball team this year will be fully as strong as that of last. To be sure there are five vacancies to be filled: Sulhvan, catcher; Gardner, 1st b.; Buffum, 2d b.; Taylor, s. s.; and Wheeler, r. f.; but some excellent material has shown itself in practice, and it is thought these places will be well filled. Hunt, who is well known in the collegiate world, will take Sullivan's place behind the bat, and the change is looked upon as an improvement. Harris. the pitcher of last year, remains, and great work is expected of the battery. Gardner's place on 1st will probably be taken by Davidson, '88, a good thrower and reliable fielder, but an uncertain batter. Kimball comes in from left field, and fills Buffum's position at 2d. He is a well known player and is conceded to be the best all around player on the team. Shortstop is still open, but it is likely that Tirrell, '85, who has shown some remarkably fine work in practice, will be chosen. Marble, who filled 3.1 b. so well last year will remain. Of last years out-fielders, Stuart is the only one left. Coats, '85, will play left field, and Stearns, '88, of last year's Andover team, will undoubtedly look after right field. Besides the men mentioned, a large number of candidates are practicing constantly in the gymnasium under Captain Hunt, Amherst men are well satisfied with their prospects, and hope to better their position of last year.