A Bit of Oxford Slang.

From the 'Varsity we take the following explanation of the origin of the term "plucked," which first came into vogue at Oxford. The choice bit of college slang was, at first, of a very different significance from that which now attaches to it. Its present meaning is very nearly equivalent to that of our own term, "dropped," a term which. in all probability, will never require any very elaborate explanation. Speaking of the functions of an Oxford proctor, the 'Varsity says "

"He receives the names and fees of candidates for the public examinations, and plays a conspicuous and highly amusing part in the ceremony of conferring degrees. After each batch of new-made graduates have had a Latin incantation mumbled over them by the Vive-Chancellor, two Proctors-in the presence not only of University officials and students but also of any outsider how chooses to look on sheepishly stride up the long room and back again without saying or doing anything. At first there is an attempt at solemnity in their gait, but after the senseless exercise has been repeated two or three times, they look, as they dourness feel, thoroughly wretched; the effort to appear dignified, and the desire to get it over as soon as possible, combine to produce one of the most comical effects ever seen. The reason for this absurd performance is not far to seek. In ancient days any tradesman who had money owing him from an undergraduate, might arrest the Proctor's course by plucking his sleeve, and so prevent the defaulter from taking his degree till his debt had been discharged. Few people know that this is the real origin of the term 'plucked' as applied to failure in examination."