Conference Committee at Williams.

The Williams Fortnight has the following on conference committees in general and the Williams' in particular:

"Privileges in government are like sciences, they grow rather than spring into existence at a single bound. Thus it has been with English liberties and the English Parliament. It is to the humble Witenagemote that the cause may be traced of the present influential gathering at Westminster.

Some years ago, Williams College was in certain respects conducted somewhat on a boarding-school plan, and the men regarded a little in the light of boys. But of late more toleration has been used, more liberty given, and the onward movement to a certain extent consummated by the establishment of the conference committees. That this organization has accomplished something for the interests of the students might be shown by several instances, notably in matters connected with the ball nine, in changing the time of the senior elective examinations, and in undoubtedly' producing an effect on the minds of the faculty committees when the subject of annuals, that great bugbear of Williams, was under discussion. But even if this organization had exerted no influence, even if its sphere of action were smaller than at present, it is still an excellent institution, inasmuch as it is a step in the right direction, a beginning of a growth.

Whether the Amherst system of almost complete self-government by the

students works well there or would prove a success here, we do not attempt to say, but certainly all will admit that the more college men are treated as men the more satisfactory it is to them, and the more enjoyable is life to a faculty who can rejoice in agreeable relations with the students."