The Law School.

COMPOSITION OF THE FIRST YEAR CLASS-LAW CLUBS.

The entering class of the Law School is a small one, comparatively speaking. The first year class last year numbered between 70 and 80, a little above the average; but the number of men registered for the first class for 1885-86 is only 52, considerably below the average. But what the class lacks in numbers it makes up in quality, for all the men, with three exceptions, have received degrees from some institution of collegiate rank. The colleges from which the men came are 15 in number. Harvard heads the list, sending thirty A.B.'s to continue the study of law at Cambridge. Of these, several took their degrees a year or two ago, not all being members of '85. Yale comes next, sending five men. Then comes Oberlin with two men, and each of the following list has sent one representative, Princeton, Williams, Cornell, Hamilton, University of Michigan, Wesleyan, Mt. St. Marys, Drake University, National Normal University, Notre Dame, Howard University, and the Mississippi Agricultural and Mechanical College. Several Harvard, '85 men who were expected to swell the size of the class, have either gone to other institutions or have decided to follow other professions, or will come back a year later. Among them might be mentioned Winslow, Nutter, Harrington, J. H. Noble, Dunham, Sanford, Hansen and Bowen.

The composition of two of the principal law clubs is now nearly complete. The men from the second year, the supreme court, are eight or nine in each club. The first year men, the superior court of each club will number either eight or nine, but are as yet not all chosen.

The supreme court of the Pow-Wow, the oldest club, is Glover, Moras, Hubbard, Frothingham, Clapp, Prentiss, Ellis, Codman and Wigmore. The following are on the superior court: Storrow, Goodale, Davidson, Trask, Bickford, of Harvard, '85, Cowles, of Oberlin, and Colt of Williams.

The supreme court of the Thayer Club is Crocker, Davis, Hayes, McKelvey, Sturgis, Gammell, Beal and H. B. Cabot. The superior court has taken on six men as yet, Baldwin, Hobbs, Williams, Davis and Gardiner, of Harvard, '85, and Johnson of Oberlin.

The supreme court of the Ames-Gray Club is not yet definitely settled upon, and the membership has not been announced. The superior court is partially made up as follows: O. Wistar, '82, Chapman and Darling, '84, Norton, '85, and Williston, '82.

Some doubt is expressed as to the future of Holmes and Austin clubs, but it is thought that a little effort will enable at least one of them to pull through this year.