The University Monies.

REPORT OF THE TREASURER FOR 1883-1884.

In the same pamphlet with President Eliot's report, is that of the treasurer, Mr. Edward W. Hooker. A bewildering mass of tables and figures, it, nevertheless, contains much useful information. The first thing of interest which attracts attention, is the sum of the total invested property of the university, which is placed at $4,803.-938, 36, against $4,623, 895, 57 for the year proceeding. The income was $241, 825, 32, at the rate of the general investments by far the larger part of 5.17 per cent. This is a falling off in rate from the year before partly caused by delays in changing the investments. The total expenses or 1883-1884 in all departments were nearly three quarters of a million dollars, the exact figures being $746.261.02, but about $529, 000.00 of this was for buildings, the money having been given for that purpose. The decrease in the total invested property inclusive of the $52,900 spent on buildings, was $78,396.11. This was much more than counterbalanced by the numerous gifts made to increase the capital account, which aggregated $258,438.90, leaving a balance or net increase in the invested property of $180,042.79.

The principal source of revenue, next to the income on property, was that for instruction which amounted to $224,588.28. The principal gifts were $80,556,72 from the estate of the late Henry T. Morgan of New York; $100,000 and accrued interest from the estate of the late Eben Wright, and $29,939.33 from the estate of the late Henry Harris.