Competitive Speaking for Boylston Prizes.

The competitive speaking for the Boylston prizes was held last evening in Sanders before an audience which, considering the extremely bad weather, was large. That the speaking was better than for several years is indisputable. The speakers seemed to be more at ease, speaking and gesturing more naturally; and their selections were more suited to themselves, as the speakers, and to the audience, which assembled to hear them. Because of its novelty, the selection from Virgil should be particularly mentioned here; its rendering was emminently successful, for the soft and musical tones and accents of the Latin. The speaking was all good and commendable; and seldom has the contest for prizes been so close. The following are the speakers and their selections: A. Z. Bowen, The Embarkation of the Pilgrims.- Webster; J. L. Hurst, The Moor's Revenge.- Mickiewicz; J. M. Goodale. Forefather's Day.- G. W. Curtis; G. Santayana, The Story of the Trojan Horse.- Virgil; R. F. Rogers. William Lloyd Garrison.- Phillips; H. B. Hutchins, Under the Flag.- Phillips; O. B. Roberts, Extract from Les Miserables.- Victor Hugo.

W. M. Fullerton, Nihilism (from the Phi Beta Kappa oration.)- Phillips; S. A. Bailey, Hamlet, II. ii.- Shakspere; H. E. Fraser. American Taxation.- Burke; I. L. Winter, Peroration of the Centennial Speech at Yorktown.- Winthrop; G. E. Foss, Eulogy on Wendell Phillips,- G. W. Curtis; W. H. Baldwin, Harvard College in the War. O. W. Holmes, Jr.; J. H. Payne, Dedication of the Soldier's Monument.- Garfield; O. R. Hansen, Wendell Phillips first appearance in Faneuil Hall.- G. W. Curtis.

Prizes were awarded as follows: first prizes to Odin Barnes Roberts, and William Henry Baldwin; second prizes to George Santayana, William Morton Fullerton, and James Henry Payne.