THE CHAMPIONSHIP.

BROWN 2: HARVARD 3.

Some 900 spectators were in attendance at the Brown game, yesterday, attracted by the knowledge that the result would finally decide the question of the championship. The weather was all that could have been desired, barring a strong wind which blew directly up the field and rendered heavy hitting difficult.

THE GAME.Harvard was first at the bat. Beaman hit a fly to Cooper and retired. Winslow hit safely and went to second on Nichols' put-out, but failed to score, as Willard went out on a long fly to Shedd. Brown got a man on first on called balls, but he was neatly caught by Allen while stealing second. Nichols retired the next two men on strikes. In the fourth inning Allen hit safely, and reached second by a beautiful steal; Smith's put-out sent him to third, where he was left by Edgerly's striking out, and Foster's retirement on a fly to Cook. Brown's three batsmen were successively struck out.

Wiestling opened the third inning by a long hit to right field which was captured by Murphy. Beaman and Winslow were fielded out at first. When Brown came to the plate, Nichols won applause by repeating his performance of the previous inning, and retiring his men in order. Harvard scored its first run in the fourth. Nichols was sharply fielded out at first. Willard hit a fairly easy grounder to Cook, and seemed about to fall an easy victim at first, but Cook threw the ball five feet over Seagrave's head, allowing Willard to reach third. Allen went out on a long fly to left field, which allowed Willard to score. Smith was sent to first on balls, but Edgerly closed the inning by sending a pop fly to Gunderson, Brown failed to score, for Nichols again assisted Allen in retiring the three men first at bat, thus performing the feat of striking out eleven successive batsmen. Score 1 to 0 for Harvard.

In the fifth Foster led off with a clean hit. Wiestling fouled out. Beaman hit to Cook, and got his first on Foster's force-out at second. Winslow hit safely to left field, sending Beaman to second, but for some unaccountable reason, Beaman attempted to steal third, and was put out while nearly six feet from the base. For Brown, Gunderson got to third on errors by Willard and Allen, and a steal, but two flies and a strike-out prevented his scoring.

In the sixth, after two men were out, Allen got in a rattling hit for three bases, and crossed the plate on an error by Clark. A base on balls and an attempted put-out enabled Smith and Edgerly to reach first and second respectively, but Foster closed the inning by being fielded out at first. Brown went out in order. Score, 2 to 0 for Harvard.

In the seventh Winslow went to first on an error, and was advanced to third on a long two-base hit which Nichols sent birds-nesting into the willow trees. Both were left on base. Brown now scored its first run on a single by Seagrave, a passed ball, and a double by Shedd. Score, 2 to 1 for Harvard.

Harvard failed to score in the eighth, though Smith got his base on balls, and Foster also got on base by an error of Cook. For Brown, Cook crossed the plate amid wild excitement, on a base on balls, a wild pitch, a steal, and a clean hit by Cooper. Score, 2 to 2.

The final inning opened discouragingly enough. Beaman fouled out. Winslow struck out. Nichols stepped to the bat and drove his second two-base hit far out to left centre field, scoring a moment later on a terrible wild pitch by Gunderson. Willard was fielded out at first. Brown again failed to find Nichols,- and the game and championship were won.

The game, it is needless to say, was the most exciting of the year. Brown secured her runs by putting in her three solitary hits at the very points where they were most needed. Harvard owes its victory solely to Nichols and Allen, whose work both in fielding and at the bat deserves more than passing mention. Nichols' feat of striking out 20 man has never been equalled in a college league game. Seagrave and Shedd fielded finely for Brown, and Clark's work was brilliant. Harvard's base-running was, as usual, wretched.

The score:

HARVARD.A.B R. B.H. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Beaman, 3b., 5 0 0 0 1 0 0

Winslow, r. f., 5 0 2 2 0 0 0

Nichols, p., 5 1 2 4 1 21 2

Willard, 1b., 5 1 0 0 6 0 1

Allen, c., 4 1 2 4 16 7 2

Smith, 2b., 1 0 0 0 3 0 0

Edgerly, c. f., 4 0 0 0 0 0 0

Foster, l. f., 4 0 1 1 0 0 0

Wiestling, s. s., 4 0 0 0 0 0 0

Totals, 37 3 7 11 27 28 5

BROWN.A.B. R. B.H. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Chase, 2b., 3 0 0 0 0 0 0

Seagrave, 1b., 4 1 1 1 11 0 0

Shedd, l. f., 4 0 1 2 4 1 0

Clark, c., 3 0 0 0 5 1 1

Gunderson, p., 3 0 0 0 2 4 4

Murphy, r. f., 3 0 0 0 1 0 0

Cook, s. s., 2 1 0 0 1 2 3

Brownell, c. f., 3 0 0 0 1 0 0

Cooper, 3b., 3 0 1 1 2 4 0

Totals, 28 2 3 4 27 12 8

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Brown, 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0-2

Harvard, 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 1-3

Two-base hits, Nichols, 2; Shedd. Three-base hit, Allen. First base on balls, by Nichols, 2; Gunderson, 3. First base on errors, Harvard, 2; Brown, 1. Struck out, by Nichols, 20; Gunderson, 3. Passed balls, Allen, 1. Wild pitches, Nichols, 1; Gunderson, 1. Left on bases, Harvard, 9; Brown, 1. Umpire, Mr. Donovan, of Boston. Time, 2h. 5m.