Two New Records.

The Friday after Commencement was a perfect day for running; it was warm and still, and Wendell Baker, '86, had the good luck to have chosen it for his last attempt to lower records. Previously he had broken all the records from 100 to 220 yards, and on this occasion he intended to add the 80, 100, and 440 yards to the list. He did not succeed, however, in lowering the record for 100 yards, and had to content himself with tying it.

A fair crowd of Harvard men were at Beacon Park to act as witnesses and officials, while the presence of Messrs. Goldie and Avery of New York, insured the acceptance in amateur circles of any times made. The track was in good condition, although, as always, more water and more labor would have made it faster.

The first trial was the 100 yards dash. Mr. Goldie acted as starter. Messrs. Lathrop, Soren and Davidson took the time at 80 yards, and as a result a record of eight seconds was established. This beats the world's record by a quarter of a second. At the finish Messrs. Avery, Fiske, and Dr. Swain were the timers. For the 100 yards Baker tied the amateur record, his time being ten seconds.

About an hour and a half later Baker was ready to run the quarter. He got an excellent start, and settled to his work in magnificent style. About half way he seemed to falter and have trouble with one of his shoes, but kicking it loose, he pluckily continued as swiftly as ever. Running upwards of 200 yards with but one shoe makes his record of 47 3-4 seconds all the more marvelous. 47 3-4 seconds breaks the previous world's amateur record of 48 3 5 seconds, made by Myers, at Birmingham, England, in 1881. It also breaks the previous professional record of 48 1-4 seconds, made by Buttery of Newcastle-on-Tyne, in 1873.