The New Journal of Economics.

In announcing the appearance of the new journal of economics which is to be issued under the auspices of the political economy department at Harvard, we can do no better than quote Prof. Dunbar's communication in regard to it. This letter explains the form and the object of the new publication as follows:

"In accordance with the announcement made by President Eliot at the last Commencement, the publication fund, established in the department of Political Economy by the generous gift of Mr. John E. Thayer, is to be used in aid of a new journal of economics, to be published under the auspices of the University. The first number of this journal will therefore be issued under the above title, on the 15th of October, by George H. Ellis, 141 Franklin Street, Boston.

"The standard size of the quarterly number for the present will be 112 pages 8vo., with such supplementary sheets as occasion may require; and the subscription price will be two dollars per annum. The number will be made up of (1) a few signed articles, coming, it is hoped, from a wide range of writers both within and without the University; (2) shorter papers and notes on topics of interest; (3) correspondence showing the movement of economic thought in the principal foreign countries; (4) a condensed bibliography of publications in political economy for the preceding quarter; and (5) such reprinted articles, documents, or statistical matter as may seem useful for the student of economic science.

"As the journal is not to represent any special school or body of economic doctrine, but is to be devoted strictly to the promotion of scientific investigation and discussion, a wide diversity of opinion among the writers of signed articles may be expected, the journal assuming no responsibility and guaranteeing nothing except that the views set forth in its pages are the well considered opinions of writers having a good claim to the attention of an intelligent public.

"It is believed that by a journal on this plan, combining some of the advantages of the review, the monograph, and the magazine, much valuable work which is now lost for the want of a proper medium may be brought together and saved, a stimulus may be given to scholarly research and discussion, and important assistance afforded to those who are interested in the solution of the great economic, financial and social questions of the day. And with this belief your co-operation and support are invited with confident hope."

CHARLES F. DUNBAR.The contents of the first number will be as follows:

I. The Reaction in Political Economy. Charles F. Dunbar.

II. Private Monopolies and Public Bights. Arthur T. Hadley.

III. Silver before Congress in 1886. S. Dana Horton.

IV. An Historical Study of Law's System. Part 1. A. Macfarland Davis.

Notes and Memoranda.

Correspondence: Letter from Paris. Arthur Mangin.

Publications for the quarter.

Wagner on the present state of Political Economy.