The American Protective Tariff League.

"The American Protective Tariff League offers to the students of Senior Classes and Universities in the United States a series of Prizes for approved essays on The Advantages of a Protective Tariff to the Labor and Industries of the United States.

Competing essays not to exceed ten thousand words, signed by some other than the writer's name, and to be sent to the office of the league, No. 23 West Twenty third Street. New York City, on or before May 1, 1887, accompanied by the name and address of the writer, and of the college to which he belongs, in a separate sealed envelope (not to be opened until the successful essays have been determined), marked by a word or symbol corresponding with the signature to the Essay.

Awards will be made June 15, 1887, as follows:

For the Best Essay, two hundred and fifty dollars.

For the Second Best, one hundred dollars;

For the Third Best, fifty dollars.

And for other essays deemed especially meritorious, Silver Medals, of original and approved design, will be awarded, with honorable mention of the authors in a public notice of the awards.

The League reserves the right to publish, at its own expense, any of the Essays for which prizes are awarded, and will print the essay receiving the first prize among its annual publications.

The following gentlemen have consented to serve as judges Ex. Gov. Henry M. Hoyt, Penn.; Hon. Geo. H. Ely, Ohio; Prof. Van Buren Deuston, N. Y.; Robt. P. Porter, District of Columbia; A. M. Garlard, Illinois. If any further information is desired, please address,

Yours respectfully,

ED. H. AMMEDOWN, Pres.