The Pierian-Glee Club Concert.

Last evening Sanders Theatre was filled with an appreciative audience to listen to the first concert of the winter given by the college Glee Club and orchestra. The programme:

PART FIRST.1. "Dance of the Bayaderes," No. 1 from "Feramors."

Anton Rubenstein2. College Songs.

3. L'Esprit Francais, Waldteu fel

4. a. "If you become a Nun, Dear,"

Arthur W. Thayerb. "Spinn, Spinn," Hugo Juengst

5. a. Berceuse "Dodelinette,"

Gounod-Brandb. Serenata alla Mauresque,

PART SECOND.1. College Songs.

2. "Regrets," Violin Solo,

Vieuxtemps3. a. Beware!

W. C. Williamsb. Lullaby (by request) Brahms

4. "Marche Hongroise," from "Le Damnation de Faust."

Hector Berlioz5. College Songs.

The striking march of Rubinstein was well played and the rhythm kept throughout. The 1st violins were beautifully smooth, while the good tone of the flute was especially noticeable.

The first group of college songs well deserved the warm welcome they received. The accompanying of the "Triton" also was extremely well done. The playing of the Banjo Club, made a pleasing intermezzo, although they were not always in the best time. Mr. Thayer's bit of part-writing was delicately rendered. The purity of the voices in the German song was very pleasing.

The fullness of tone produced by the 1st violins in the Gounod-Brand was better than we have ever heard before at a Pierian Concert; and too much praise cannot be given to Mr. Forchheimer for developing such a body of strings. But in the Seranade of Jonas all the instruments were not in tune.

Mr. Carpenter' graceful skatings song was well received. The masterful playing of Vieuxtemps' "Regrets" by Mr. Hillebrand received the honor of a triple recall. The beautiful thought expressed by Brahms in the Lullaby needs no words of praise. For such a difficult piece, the Berlioz Marche was given with great spirit.

Great improvement was shown in the fact that all the instruments kept on the key. The playing of the orchestra throughout the concert was the best the college has heard from them. While the voices of the Glee Club showed great excellence and careful training.

The dancing in Memorial after the concert attracted the usual number of concert-goers. The entire hall, therefore, was cleared for the occasion.