Second Winter Meeting.

The first event of the afternoon was the fence-vault, which was well contested by six men; Fessenden, '86, Lander, '86, Leavitt, '89, Snyder, '86, L. S. Thayer, '88, and Batchelder, L. S. Thayer was the first to drop out and Batchelder soon followed. Leavitt and Snyder failed at six feet seven and a half inches. Lander fell out at six feet nine. The event was won by Fessenden with a vault of six feet ten and a quarter inches.

After an unnecessarily long delay, Fillebrown, M. S., and Whitelaw, '87, appeared for the first bout in the feather weight sparring. Whitelaw led off with a quick right-hander which was neatly parried. Whitelaw forced the fighting but was not quick enough for his adversary, who placed some very pretty blows on his face. The round ended with the advantage on Fillebrown's side. Both men appeared fresh for the second round. Whitelaw again rushed his opponent who avoided some heavy blows very neatly. In turn Fillebrown placed some effective hits. The round seemed about equal. In the third round Whitelaw again began rushing, but was severely handled, giving few blows in return. The bout was awarded to Fillebrown. Thayer, '88, withdrew. Coolidge was therefore given abye. The judges here announced a mistake in the winner of the first bout, and after another round the winner was announced, amid the mingled cheers and groans of the spectators, as Mr. Whitelaw, who would have been declared winner at first except for a confusion of names by the judges.

Ashe, '87, and Mitchell, '89, were the contestants in the first bout of the light weight sparring. The first round was scientific, with the advantage slightly in favor of Mitchell. In the second round Ashe struck Mitchell a terrible blow on the jaw which caused him to lose confidence as well as strength. The third round was well contested, Mitchell doing some very good work but he was uncertain in his movements, owing to his punishment in the second round. The bout was awarded to Ashe.

Amory, '88 and Lander, '86, were the contestants in the first round of the fencing. The men fought well but were pretty wild. Lander won by a score of seven points to five. The next bout was between Isham, R. G., and Morris, R. G. Morris showed good form and a thorough knowledge of fencing, but was unable to do much against his more powerful adversary. Isham was very wild. Isham won the bout, seven points to four.

H. L. Clark, '87, Rogers, '87, Lund, '88, Mandell, '89, and T. C. Batchelder, L. S., were the entries for the standing high jump. The bar was started at three feet eight inches. All cleared successfully, till it reached four feet five inches. Mandell retired at four feet six and three-fourth inches. Clark and Lund at four feet eight and one-fourth inches. Rogers cleared this height and won the event. Clark and Lund then tried for second place, which was won by Lund at four feet six and three-fourth inches.

At this point F. A. Houghton, S. S., gave a very pretty and interesting exhibition with Indian clubs. The event was a walkover.

The entries for the parallel bars were: Loud, '87, Batchelder, L. S., A. T. Perkins, '87, J. C. Faulkner, '86. Many difficult feats were performed, the cup being awarded to Mr. Batchelder. The work of Loud and Perkins was little inferior to that of the winner.

The final bout between Whitelaw, '87, and A. C. Coolidge, '87, was marked for the pluck with which the former received many hard blows and the rapidity with which the latter delivered them. Whitelaw withdrew after the second round and the bout was awarded to Coolidge.

The final bout of fencing between Lander, '86 and Isham, R. G. was won by Isham, 7 points to 2. This bout was hardly what it should have been, Isham's tactics being much the better suited to broad sword contest, since he depended more upon his strength than his skill to defeat his adversary.

The final bout in the light-weight sparring between Ashe and Austin, '87, was looked forward to with the greatest interest. Austin forced the fighting from the first, in the second round giving his opponent some hard blows and getting a few in return. In the third round both men went quickly to work, but they showed the effects of their previous struggle, Ashe especially, who had a hard contest with Mitchell. Both soon became winded and their last few blows were weak and ineffective. After some minutes discussion, the judges decided to call the bout a draw, though if no ladies had been present another round would have been fought.

In the tug-of-war, the closing event of the afternoon, '87 got the drop by about three inches. For the five minutes following the result was very uncertain, both teams pulled well and hard, but victory was destined to crown the efforts of '86, and that team won by just three inches. The teams were made up as follows: '86, Pudor, Churchill, Adams, Dewey, anchor; '87. Atwood, Bowen, J. W. Dudley, Litchfield, anchor.

The officers of this meeting were the same as at the first, except that Mr. Joseph Lee took the place of Mr. Robert Bacon as one of the judges of sparring.