Dr. Edes' Lecture.

The usual large audience overcrowded Sever 11 last evening to listen to Dr. Robert T. Edes' lecture on "Medicine as a Profession." The lecturer was unable, through lack of time, to give to the latter half of his lecture the completeness, which otherwise he would have given.

If a man does not want to be a physician enough to be so in spite of all hindrance, he ought not to be one at all. In medicine particularly a man is confined to his work, and he is unfortunate who cannot find his enjoyment in this work. While a physician should always have in mind the great object of the profession, - the doing of good to his fellowmen, - there is still to be regarded the aim of earning a livelihood. With this aim the world gets along better than if all men were distinguished philanthropists. Abroad, the profession is under supervision of government. Here the government exercises no control, except in the matter of signing certificates of insanity. It may be better so, but now at least there is much opportunity given for quackery. This side of the profession may be removed by the admission of educated practitioners. At the same time young men should not be advised to become physicians. Medicine must be put on a more scientific basis. Lack of possibility of intelligent appreciation of good work, is a great drawback. The sketch of the physician in Middle-march is good, though by a woman, - one of a sex which we have taken a good deal of pains to exclude from the profession. The functions of the physician are extending to matters of insanity, sanitary engineering, etc. The underlying diathesis of disease is poverty and intemperance. The remedy for these causes lies more with the philanthropic manufacturer than with the physician.

The study of medical science is human biology in its widest sense. New fields are constantly opening, as in bacteriology. Thorough scientific knowledge is demanded to-day. A preliminary academical training is very desirable. The two sayings of "Room on top," and "Go West" are of little value. There is room in the lower half of the profession. Over half of medical practitioners are successful. As in law, the man who has an air of confidence, a taste for research and knowledge, a practical mind and a kind heart, will gain success.