Athletic Meeting of the H. A. A.

A fair sized audience gathered on Holmes Field Saturday afternoon, to see the spring championship games of the H. A. A. The weather was not all that could be desired. A chilly wind blew up the home stretch, making an extremely hard day for good time. Two inter-collegiate records were broken; the hammer by D. B. Chamberlain, '86, and the mile walk by E. C. Wright, '86, and H. H. Bemis, '87.

The meeting began promptly at 3 o'clock with the

120 YARDS HURDLE RACE.1, F. L. H. Noble, '88; 2, J. D. Bradley, '86. The race was close and interesting, being won by Noble in 18 1-5s. Bradley was a yard behind.

THROWING THE HAMMER.1, D. B. Chamberlain, '86; 2, D. C. Clark, '86; 3, H. B. Gibson, '88. In his first throw Chamberlain sent the hammer over 91 feet, but unluckily he stepped over the mark, so this throw could not be counted. But on the fourth trial he covered 90 ft. 1 in., breaking the previous record made by Mr. Kip of Harvard, in the inter-collegiate games of 1883. Chamberlain threw in splendid style, and it would not be surprising if he broke his record in New York. Gibson was second with 81 ft. 4 in. to his credit.

2 MILE BICYCLE RACE.Mr. F. L. Dean, '88, was the only entry. He rode the two miles in fast time, considering the conditions, 6 m. 46 2-5 sec.

100 YARDS DASH.1, G. S. Mandell, '89; 2, J. W. Merrill, '89; 3, E. H. Rogers, '87; 4, F. D. Fisk, '86. Mandell was set back two yards for getting over the mark. Rogers got the best start and led from the beginning. Fisk ran hard and came in a good second. Rogers' time was 10 2-5 sec.

ONE MILE WALK. (Handicap).1, H. H. Bemis, '87, (scratch); 2, Rupert Norton, '88, (20 seconds); 3, E. C. Wright, '86, (scratch); 4, F. E. Zinkeisen, '89, (20 seconds). This proved to be the best race of the afternoon. Both scratch men were inside the previous inter-collegiate record, 7 m. 4 4-5 sec., made by Eldredge, of Columbia, in 1877. Norton and Zinkeisen were caught and passed by the other two at the half mile. From that time until on the back stretch of the last quarter Bemis led, closely followed by Wright, who then passed him and won by ten feet. Wright's time was 7 m. 1 sec., just 3 4-5 seconds better than the record. Bemis' time was 7 m. 2 sec., which also beat the time of Eldredge.

RUNNING HIGH JUMP.H. L. Clark, '86, was the only entry. He cleared 5 ft. 8 1-2 in.

PUTTING THE SHOT.1, D. B. Chamberlain, '86; 2, D. C. Clark, '86. Chamberlain won with a put of 39 ft. 1-2 in. This beats all records except the one he made last Monday.

ONE MILE RUN.1, H. C. Holt, '86; 2, P. Marquand, '89. Holt ran in excellent form, but was retarded by the wind. His time was 4 m. 42 2-5 sec., which is but five seconds behind the record.

QUARTER-MILE RUN.1, F. S. Churchill, '86; 2, I. R. Thomas, '88. Out of five entries the above were the only contestants. Thomas won in 57 seconds.

BROAD JUMP.1, F. B. Lund, '88; 2, A. T. Perkins, '87; 3, R. D. Smith, '86; 4, G. H. Brewer, '88; 5, J. D. Bradley, '86. Smith and Bradley were very even, but the former finally won with a jump of 19 ft. 10 in.; Bradley was second by 1-2 an inch.

HALF-MILE RUN.1, G. P. Cogswell, '88; 2, F. B. Dana, '88; 3, C. N. B. Wheeler, '86; 4, H. D. Hale, '88. This was very close, although the time was not particularly fast. Cogswell and Dana ran a dead heat in 2 m. 7 4-5 sec., and Wheeler was almost even with them.

POLE VAULT.1, P. R. Frothingham, '86; 2, T. C. Craig, '87; 3, R. G. Leavitt, '89. After a long and close struggle Frothingham won with a vault of 9 ft. 1-4 in. Craig was second with 8 ft. 9 in. to his credit.

220 YARDS DASH.1, S. G. Wells, '86; 2, Wendell Baker, '86. This was a very pretty and exciting race. Wells led at the start, and for more than 100 yards kept his position; Baker then passed him, and won in 2 m. 3 1-5 sec., with Wells a couple of yards behind him.

The officers of the meeting were: Referee, Mr. G. B. Morrison, '83. Judges, Prof. C. R. Lanman, Mr. C. H. Kip, '83, Mr. W. R. Trask, '85. Judge of walking, Mr. E. E. Merrill. Starter, Mr. G. F. Davidson, '85. Timers, Mr. E. A. Church, Mr. E. A. Thomson, Mr. E. E. Merrill. Measurers, Mr. C. H. Kip, '83, Mr. S. H. Fessenden, '86. Scorer, Mr. C. T. Gilman, '85. Clerk of the course, Mr. Copley Amory, '88. Assistant clerk of the course, Mr. J. M. Hallowell, '88.