Student Conference Committee.

At the last regular meeting of the Conference Committee, April 21st, it was unanimously voted: "That the faculty be recommended to pass a vote entrusting the maintenance of order in the yard to the students, for the remainder of the year."

On May 11th, the faculty voted:

"That the student members of the Conference Committee be requested to make such provision as they may think best for the maintenance of order in the yard and to associate with them for that purpose such students as they may choose."

Accordingly the student members of the Conference Committee met on Monday, May 17th, to consider what action it was advisable for them to take in answer to the faculty's request. It was the general opinion of those present that the vote of the faculty was not consistent with the unanimous recommendation of the committee; that if the student members of the Conference Committee complied with the faculty's request they would assume the position of agents of the faculty, and bring about nothing more than a modification of the old proctor system; that if a committee of students were to be entrusted with the maintenance of order, such committee should be appointed by the students and derive its authority directly from the students. Resolutions were accordingly passed, asking the faculty to reconsider their vote of May 11th and again recommending that the maintenance of order should be entrusted to the students at large, and recommending in addition to this, that the faculty "authorize the chairman of the student members of the Conference Committee to call a mass-meeting of the students to take such measures for the maintenance of order as the students see fit." These resolutions were communicated to the faculty May 18th, who thereupon voted as follows:

"In view of representations made to the president by student members of the Conference Committee, it is voted, in addition to the vote of May 11th, that the student members of the Conference Committee be authorized to call a mass meeting of the students, or to take any other measure which seem to them judicious, for the purpose of procuring the election or appointment of a committee to maintain order in the yard."

Acting upon this vote, the student members of the Conference Committee have called a mass meeting in Holden Chapel to-night in order that the students may there elect a committee to maintain order in the yard.

Signed,STUDENT MEMBERS OF THE CONFERENCE COMMITTEE.