Our Second Defeat.

YALE BEATS HARVARD IN AN EXCITING GAME. - YALE, 6; HARVARD, 5.

A crowd of a hundred and fifty Harvard men who, not discouraged by the disappointment of the rainy eighth of May, went down again to New Haven to support the nine, seated themselves at three o'clock on the turf near first base on Yale Field, and staid there during the game. The field was surrounded by a mass of carriages full of pretty girls adorned with blue ribbons, and every available bit of standing room in the grand-stand and behind the foullines was occupied. The Yale managers seemed indifferent as to whether the Harvard men should be seated or not; the CRIMSON scorer was refused a seat in the grand-stand, and was forced to sit on the grass; and the whole Harvard delegation, though extremely orderly, was constantly annoyed with commands to "keep back" from an officious policeman; they ???eered heartily throughout the game, not withstanding. Harvard won the toss, and sent Yale to the bat.

I. Bremner opened the inning by getting his base on balls. He stole second, but was thrown out at third by Henshaw. Stagg sent a grounder to Smith and Marsh struck out. Harvard. Wiestling and Smith got bases on balls and went third and second on Bremner's muff of Phillips' fly. Wiestling came home on Nichols' long fly to left. Willard made a safe hit, Sheppard fumbled it, and Phillips came home. Willard tried to steal second and went out.

II. Stewart went out Phillips to Smith. Cross made a hit and stole second. He was left on third by the next two men going out at first. Harvard. Allen and Foster went out on strikes, and Henshaw went out at first.

III. Brigham died at first; Dann and Bremner got in runs on battery errors to the wild delight of their supporters; the next two men went out in order. Harvard went out in order also.

IV. Yale went out in order, Foster making a splendid catch of a drive by Stewart. Harvard went out in order.

V. Sheppard got his first on an error. He was touched out at second by Edgerly in a very clever manner. Edgerly held the ball, Phillips ran home as if to dispute the umpire's decision, Sheppard started for third and Edgerly touched him out to the great delight of the spectators. Foster caught a terrific drive of Brigham's, and Dann struck out. Harvard drew a blank.

VI. Bremner died at first. Stagg made a hit but was thrown out at second. Marsh struck out. Harvard. Edgerly flied out, Wiestling made a hit but was thrown out trying to reach third. Smith got second on errors, but was left by Phillips striking out.

VII. Cross struck out, but battery errors allowed Stewart and Noyes to cross the plate. Sheppard reached third, but was left there by the next two men going out. Harvard, Nichols and Willard went out on strikes and a fly, respectively. Allen was given first on balls, but was thrown out at second.

VIII. Bremner struck out, Stagg hit safely but was thrown out at second. Marsh reached first on balls and stole second, but Stuart disappointed the Yale men by striking out. Harvard, Foster went out at first. Henshaw made a rattling base hit and went second on a wild pitch. Edgerly made a beautiful hit which Sheppard fumbled, allowing Henshaw to score and Edgerly to reach second. A bad throw of Dann's sent Edgerly to third. Wiestling sent a long fly to Brigham which was neatly handled by him. Smith struck out, but Dann muffed the third strike, allowing Edgerly to score and Smith to reach first. A scene of wild uproar followed and play was delayed for five minutes during the most frantic cheers. Phillips made a sacrifice hit which Dann fumbled, allowing Phillips to reach first and Smith second. Amid most intense excitement, the umpire called Nichols out on strikes and the inning closed with the score tied.

IX. Cross hit safely, stole second, went third on a passed ball, and scored on Noyes' hit. Noyes took second on Willard's error and scored on two wild pitches amid a repitition of the scenes of the previous inning on a larger scale. Sheppard flied to Foster. Brigham made a hit, but Dann flied out to Allen who threw to Smith, making a double play and shutting the side out. Harvard came to the bat prepared to die hard. Willand hit safely amid wild cheers. Allen knocked a foul ball, but the umpire refused to allow it, although the ball hit Allen on the shoulder and became a dead ball anyway, and he was thrown out at first; Willard reaching second, going third on Marsh's error. Foster was called out on strikes. Henshaw made a rattling hit, but Willard remained on third in order to keep the catcher up. A passed ball sent him across the plate and Henshaw to third. All hopes were centred on Edgerly, but he struck out, after having knocked six fouls to different parts of the field. The excited Yale men rushed in upon the field and bore the nine off on their shoulders.

The playing on both sides was loose. The loss of Allen behind the plate made our battery ineffective, and though Henshaw faced Nichols' terrible delivery most pluckily, the team was demoralized. Stagg and Dann were the saving points of Yale's team; Brigham played a good game in left field, but the others did not distinguish themselves. Edgerly bore off the honors for Harvard, and Foster and Wiestling also did excellent work. The umpiring was inconceivably bad. Grant seemed determined to made every decision against Harvard, his ruling on Allen's foul being more than usually flagrant. It is a poor excuse to offer for a defeat that the umpire was unfair, but Harvard should protest Grant's engagement next year after his performances in the Princeton and Yale games.

The score:

YALE.

A.B. R. I.B. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Bremner, c. f., 2 1 0 0 3 0 1

Stagg, p., 4 0 2 2 0 11 0

Marsh, 1b., 3 0 0 0 5 1 1

Stewart, 2b., 3 1 0 0 2 0 0

Cross, 3b., 4 1 2 2 3 2 1

Noyes, s. s., 4 2 1 1 0 1 0

Sheppard, r. f., 4 0 0 0 2 0 2

Brigham, l. f., 4 0 1 1 2 1 0

Dann, c., 3 1 0 0 10 3 3

- - - - - - -

31 6 6 6 27 19 8

HARVARD.

A.B. R. I.B. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Wiestling, s. s., 3 1 1 1 0 2 0

Smith, 1b., 3 0 0 0 12 0 1

Phillips, 3b., 4 1 0 0 1 1 3

Nichols, p., 4 0 0 0 0 12 0

Willard, c. f., 4 1 2 2 0 0 1

Allen, r. f., 3 0 0 0 2 1 0

Foster, l. f., 4 0 0 0 3 0 0

Henshaw, c., 4 1 2 2 6 5 0

Edgerly, 2b., 4 1 1 1 3 2 0

- - - - - - -

33 5 6 6 27 23 5

Innings. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Yale, 0 0 2 0 0 0 2 0 2 - 6

Harvard, 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 - 5

Earned run - Yale, 1. First base on balls - Stagg, 3; Nichols, 5. First base on errors - Yale, 2; Harvard, 4. Struck out - Stagg, 10; Nichols, 8. Double plays - Allen and Smith. Passed balls - Dann, 2; Henshaw, 5. Wild pitches - Stagg, 2; Nichols, 2. Left on bases - Yale, 3; Harvard, 4. Umpire - Grant. Time - 2h. 50m.