Suggestions for Examinations.

[These hints are not authoritative, and have no reference to the particular form the examination may take].

1. Get your examination-book in early.

2. Come into the examination fresh and able to think clearly.

3. Read the paper through before beginning to write, and decide which of the alternative questions you will choose, if such are offered.

4. If you are doubtful of the meaning of a question, apply to the instructor.

5. Write legibly; ink is much preferred.

6. Write in a straightforward narrative style; make your meaning clear.

7. Arrange and paragraph your work neatly and systematically.

8. Indicate subdivisions of a logical argument in such a way as readily to catch the eye.

9. Full answers to a part of the questions may be better than insufficient answers to the whole; full answers to all are better than either.

10. Less stress will le laid on dates and details than on an ability to distinguish the significant points in the work gone over, and to understand their relations: a good general comprehension can, however, be based only on a previous study of details.

11. Have an opinion of your own, and express it. If it differs materially from the views taken in the lectures, be able to state the grounds for your dissent.

12. After working an hour, rest four or five minutes: and do the same at the end of the second hour.

13. Just before the examination-books are called in, take time to revise and correct what you have written, even though you have not finished the paper.