New Verses from the Harvard Advocate.

1876-1886.

Dr. Andrew P. Peabody writes the preface for this book. He says it is "rodolent of genius, wit and poetic inspiration." Professor Charles Eliot Norton said of the first volume published in 1876, "Consule Planco," as Thackeray would say, which means, when Mr. Quincy was president. "I don't think we wrote on the average such good verses as these." All who have seen the selections for the forthcoming volume, consider that it is as far superior to the first volume as the University of to-day has outgrown the University of twenty years ago. The dedication is "To the founders of the Advocate, the class of '67 and to the class of '86."

Many of the contributors to this volume are among the founders of the American school of vers de societe, and have been known as such in their contributions to the Century and Life, and the other leading American periodicals, and in the several volumes of their own verses which have been received with favor.

But this volume possesses an especial interest for Harvard men because it contains witty and tender reminis cences of everything peculiar to Harvard life. Among the subjects are: Class Days, Goodies, Pocos, Digs, College Sports, Window Seats, The Annex, The College Pump, The Yard, The Faculty, Wellesley, Yale, Princeton, Columbia, The Bell, The Chapel, Jones, Examinations, The Bursar, John, Memorial Hall, Old Graduates, and something of Life, Love, Youth and Fate. The book will contain about two hundred pages, the productions of about seventy contributors from thirteen classes.

The selections have been made by Robert Grant, George E. Woodberry, C. A. Prince, William G. Peckham, E. D. Hawkins, Edward Hale. E. A. Hibbard, H. W. Hardon. T. L. Frothingham, T. T. Baldwin, C. O. Brewster, and others. The book includes Dr. Peabody's preface, Dr. O. W. Holmes' poem. "How the Old Horse Won the Bet," dedicated to the editors of the Harvard Advocate, and three verses by Frederick W. Loring, to college comrades.

The book will be privately printed by Kilbourne Tompkins, of 79 Cedar Street, New York City, who has long been known as a publisher and printer of the highest grade of privately printed work, and the profits of the publication will go to the Harvard Adcocate. The edition will be limited with reference to the number of advance subscriptions, and each copy will be numbered. Copies in vellum and full calf will be made up to order. Prices will be $1.25 paper, and $1.50 cloth.

Owing to to the arrangement with the publisher 500 copies must be guaranteed him before the end of the month so that instead of putting the book on sale the method of personal subscription must be resorted to and it is hoped that all members of the college who possibly can will offer their names when called on. This work of subscription has been put into the hands of a committee and subscriptions may be left with E. C. Pfiffer, 10 Stoughton hall, editors of the Harvard Advocate, Amee Bros., Chas. W. Sever, or Leavitt & Pierce.