A Proposed International Boat-Race.

The suggestion made by "Bob" Cook through the medium of the press about a week ago, that the Yale eight sail across the briny deep and do battle with the winner of the great Oxford Cambridge boat race, has aroused in tense interest and enthusiasm among the Yale students and alumni, and has been favorably received all over the country. The fact that no Yale eight ever measured oars with their British cousins lends additional interest to the proposed contest. The only race of an international character in which Yale ever engaged was the centennial regatta, which was won by the Yale four, "Bob" Cook being captain and stroke.

As yet there has been no action of any kind taken by the Yale alumni or the undergraduates with regard to the proposed international race. Last spring, when the question of the race between Harvard and Cambridge was being agitated, a few prominent boating men of Yale, held a consultation, at which it was decided that if the Cambridge crew came over here, and if Yale defeated Harvard, the wearers of the blue would challenge the Englishmen. As the latter concluded not to come to this country the matter was dropped. It is not at all probable that the Cambridge men can raise sufficient funds to come over here; in fact a letter received not long ago from a wellknown boating man there admits this fact. The same condition of affairs undoubtedly exists at Oxford. The only thing that remains to be done is to send a crew over there. In reference to the race, Mr. Stevenson, president of the Yale navy, said: "Personally I am very much in favor of the proposed race. I think it would be a good thing for Yale, and it would be a contest in which the whole country would be interested. There are some difficulties in the way of such a race, but these I think, can be overcome. Of course we would not want to go across the water unless we defeated Harvard at New London in July, and any contest between our crew and an English university eight would hinge on the result of our annual battle with Harvard. Mr. Cook thinks that both Yale and Harvard could have defeated Cambridge this summer, if our English friends had come over here. We will have a pretty good crew this year, and I think that we could give a good account of ourselves if we went over to the old country. I am sure that the alumni would subscribe liberally, and that there would be no lack of funds to pay expenses. Such a race, if won by Yale, would probably be the first of a series of international contests, somewhat similar to the yacht races of the past few years. It would increase the interest in boating both at Yale and Harvard, as the winner in our great aquatic event would have a chance to meet the champion crew of England."

If the crew goes abroad the preliminary arrangements will have to be perfected by Feb. 1, 1888. The amount needed to cover expenses will be from $5,000 to $6,000. This sum, it is expected, can be raised with little effort among the Yale alumni, and undergraduates who wish to contribute will of course be given an opportunity to do so. The race cannot take place in any event until the middle of August. The contest with Harvard occurs about the first of July, and the crew would not sail for England until a week later. After landing the men would require at least three weeks practice to get into good form and overcome the effects of the voyage. Special attention would also have to be paid to becoming thoroughly acquainted with the river, the current of which may be of great advantage or disadvantage to a crew. Should the eight go abroad, it will be accompanied by two or three substitutes, the president of the navy and a crowd of Yale supporters. Two shells would have to be taken, as the men have no use for an English boat.

The proposed race will oblige the English oarsmen to keep in training nearly ten months. The race between Oxford and Cambridge occurs the latter part of March, and the men have already commenced training.

The contest, it should be remembered, is by no means a settled fact as yet, and many unforeseen circumstances may arise which will cause the project to be abandoned. It is expected that an effort will soon be made to collect the needed funds from the alumni, and all arrangements will be made by a graduate committee, who will probably act in conjunction with a committee of boating men to be elected by the undergraduates.- Globe.