Professor of Journalism Again.

The following from the Evening Post of December 1st, is an amusing hit at a man who is trying to "combine the useful and the beautiful," and at the same time shows what the Nation thinks about the value of having a professorship of journalism:

"It seems rather a melancholy thing that a regular 'Professor of Journalism' in one of our universities, such as the Hon. Charles E. Fitch, editor of the Rochester Democratic, is, should have to apply for the place of clerk to the State Senate in order to secure "a vacation from the wearing duties of his present [editorial] position.' Yet such is the tale told us by his friend the Ogdenburg Daily Journal. In the first place, it is rather odd that service in the Senate clerkship should be to all intents and purposes a vacation, for it draws a salary, and professors of journalism ought not to take a salary for taking a vacation. In the next place, we should think Mr. Fitch might secure the needed rest from 'the treadmill of editorial work' in his professorial labors at Cornell. This would give him change of occupation, and change of occupation often means rest. In fact, we can imagine nothing more soothing and refreshing to an intellectual man than the delivery of a course of lectures this winter on the journalistic art, illustrated by the writings of those illustrious practitioners, 'Judas,' 'Ananias' and 'The Bilk' of this city. To lead the young Cornell mind through the various phases of a controversy carried on by these gentlemen, mingling instruction with criticism on the way, would surely be far more recreative, as well as far more interesting, than doing the mechanical drudgery of the Senate clerkship."