The Mott Haven Tream.

It may be of interest to the college at large to learn the method of training adopted by the Mott Haven team. The team as a whole has been doing good work during the past month, perhaps better than ever before. Every day, soon after four o'clock, the running and jumping squad begins exercise on the chest weights. This is followed by jumping, vaulting and light dumb-bell exercise. As a large development of muscle is not conducive to lightness and speed, none of the exercises are long continued. They are expected to give the men suppleness; and without strict training to prepare them to get into racing condition as soon as the track opens in the spring. The sharp corners of the running track in the gymnasium do not allow very fast work, but every day the spinters cover three or four laps at a good rate of speed. The distance men run further and slower; quite fast enough, however, for some of the newer candidates. Lately the track on Holmes field has been covered with a smooth coating of ice, and on mid-days the runners with their spiked shoes have found it a good place to practice. Good time has been made in the 100-yard dash on this ice-track.

The walking squad exercises but little down stairs; pulling on the weights and going through a few movements with the light dumb bells. The real work comes on the track upstairs. The distance walked vary from day to day according to the speed at which they are covered.

A fifty dollar medal, offered by a member of '87 for a Harvard record of 6 minutes 50 seconds to be made in the spring, is an inducement to steady work. Saturday mornings, special work has been taken, and some fast miles have been walked. The pole vaulting has been remarkably good this year. A large number of men are candidates for this event.

Although it is early to prophesy, nevertheless we feel sure that Harvard will be successful in the inter-collegiate games this spring. The number of candidates to choose from is very large, and some of them ought to make good men. We have lost several of the men who won prizes for us in New York last year, but we are sure their places will be filled from last year's non prize winners, or from new men. When the track opens, Mr. Lathrop will give his personal instruction to the men, and success of the past two years is sufficient to guarantee that they will be well trained and in the best possible condition to wrestle with the other colleges for championship in track athletics.