Gen. Crook's Lecture.

A large audience assembled in Sanders last evening to hear Maj-Gen Crook's lecture on our Western Indians. Rev. Edward Everett Hale introduced the speaker, and said that Gen. Crook had been connected with the U. S. Army for many years. Since the civil war he has been stationed in Idaho and has had charge of the Indians in that district. Gen. Crook then said: In former years, treachery has been extremely prevalent among the Indians. It was their mode of warfare to fall upon an unarmed band of men and massacre the entire party. Originally they did this as the only means of getting back their country from the Whites. When they saw the hopelessness of their task, they were won over by the specious promises of the white men to care for and feed them. Now they are becoming more civilized and like to see their children enjoying the advantages of that education which is denied themselves on account of their age. The Apaches are more cruel and relentless towards those who fall into their power, more skillful in fashioning and carrying out their plots, and more expert in covering their tracks than the majority of their brothers. But they make excellent scouts.

Intoxication is prevalent among them. They have a mild intoxicant, before drinking which, they sometime fast for two or three days in order to make it more effectual.

Gen. Crook believes in giving them the franchise as the one means of making them law-abiding citizens and raising them from their present degrading situation. As the case stands now, they can get no redress for wrongs committed against them by white men.

Gen. Crook interspersed his remarks with many pleasing personal reminiscences and answered many questions put him by members of the audience.