The '89 Crew-Book.

The '89 Crew-Book is out at last - and a very attractive little volume it is. It is very prettily gotten up in a crimson cover, with "Rah, 'Rah, 'Rah, 'Rah, '89" on the outside. The book is a complete record of the life of the crew from its organization in October, 1885, up to its final victory over the Yale and Columbia freshmen at New London last summer. It is brightly and amusingly written from beginning to end. Little incidents are told of each man on the crew, and each one is given his own peculiar nick-name. The author gives a very interesting account, to begin with, of the organization of the crew. To quote his own words: "Forty men, more or less, the 'pride and flower' of the class, assembled in the gymnasium, afternoon upon afternoon, with beating hearts and anxious faces. Lean men, short men, fat men, tall men, sturdy men, sallow men, flabby men and bronzed men - all 'trying for the crew!" Finally the crew was selected. Challenges came from Columbia and Yale, and were accepted. The crew got on the water. Then came the class races. After the excitement of these had subsided, the prospect of the race with Yale and Columbia was the one thing that occupied the thoughts of '89. The crew went to New London. Their reception and experiences there are told in a very amusing manner. Then came the great and glorious race for which the crew had slaved and denied themselves for nearly nine long months! There are three very good illustrations in the book, taken from photographs. The first represents the '89 crew on the water; the second, the crew waiting for supper in the little lounging cabin before Captain Molthrop's house; and the third, the Yale-Columbia-Harvard race, taken just before Yale sank. The credit for this charming souvenir of a battle well fought and gloriously won, is due to Mr. E. C. Pfeiffer, '89, a "Port Oar," as he modestly terms himself. We desire to make our acknowledgments to him for the complimentary copy sent to us, which we have read through with much pleasure.