A Physical Training School for Teachers.

SUMMER COURSE IN THE HEMENWAY GYMNASIUM.

The Physical Training School for Teachers, which has been carried on so successfully in Cambridge for the last five years under the direction of Dr. Sargent, is to be supplemented by a new and comprehensive course of physical training in the Hemenway Gymnasium this summer.

The design of the school is to qualify men and women to supply the demand for competent instructors in the Sargent system of examination and physical training.

The present need is for intelligent organizers and leaders rather than for skilful performers - for those who can arouse enthusiasm for health and development rather than for feats and display.

Aside from the immediate object of this course, the opportunity here afforded to persons who are otherwise occupied during the rest of the year for obtaining a better knowledge of their physical condition, and for laying the foundation of a better physical life is an encouraging feature of the scheme.

The course of instruction will consist of lectures, examinations and exercises condensed from the work of the winter course.

A new system of exercises, especially adapted to the needs of school children, will be introduced for the first time.

The summer course is to be preceded and followed by a prescribed course of reading intended to cover the whole subject, both in theory and practice.

Special instruction in elocution, fencing, sparring, wrestling and military drill will be given to those who desire it by assistants prominent in their special lines.

The opportunities for out of-door sports will be unequalled. All students will have the use of the extensive athletic grounds immediately adjoining the gymnasium, and the boat-house accommodations on the river.

Among other advantages, the University Library and Museum of Comparative Zoology will be open to students attending the summer school.

The temperature at Cambridge is so agreeable during that part of the summer season given to this course, and the gymnasium is so large and airy, with unusual facilities for bathing, etc., that exercise will be attended with no discomfort.

Certificates are to be awarded by the school, and are of two kinds. In every case the applicant must pass a satisfactory examination in all of the work prescribed, but a full certificate is given only to a graduate from a medical college in good standing. In other cases certificates will be given, indicating the time spent at the school, the work done, and the nature of the service that each teacher is capable of rendering.

A good physique, fine muscular development, proficiency in physical exercises, and experience in teaching, are accepted as equivalents for a certain amount of time.

The cost of instruction for five weeks in theory and practice, beginning Wednesday, July 6, is $50 - one-half of this amount to be paid on application for the reading course, the remainder on entering the gymnasium.

Fees payable to Mr. Allen Danforth, Bursar.

For further particulars, and for information regarding rooms, board, etc., address

L. H. BETTS, Cambridge, Mass.