Princeton Letter.

PRINCETON, June 2. The nine returned unexpectedly on Tuesday morning. The news heard early Monday evening of the only half expected victory, created such a disturbance that the Decoration Day exercises in the First Church, presided over by Governor Green, was somewhat annoyed. Fires, drums, and a general noise gave evidence of college feeling. There is a too well grounded feeling that the old cannon in the middle of the campus has seen far too few fires for victories of late years. Princeton seems to have started, and only started, back to a respectable showing in track athletics. The bottom was reached last year. This year one second, and a first, only won gloriously to be lost unaccountably, may prove a nest egg from which to hatch a cup some day. Princeton luck is inexplicable. We win and we lose, and no one knows why we win or why we lose. In college athletics fortune favors whom she favors, and that is all there is to it.

The freshmen lost a game on Monday to the Hill School of Portstown, 12 to 5. The college is not proud of them. The lacrosse twelve have stopped playing since the championship has gone to Harvard. The nine, on their return, reported most courteous treatment in Cambridge. We are glad they gave no provocation for any other kind of treatment.

The tennis tournament begins this week. There is not much interest taken in the outcome. The winner of the singles will have to play former prize winners for the championship of the college.

Pach photographed the seniors for their class pictures last week, the same day he took the Hall groups. In the '87 class albums, Jim Robinson is placed side by side with Prof. Patton. The Banjo Clubs, and Instrumental Club played in Newark last Friday night. A faculty rule limiting the hours for playing any musical instruments has been suspended. The club embraces the whole college.

The May "Lit" was out last week, introducing no change of policy in management or of form in publication. Baldwin, '84, who has been tutoring the sophomores and freshmen in French the last year, has accepted the call of the chair of Metaphysics at Lake Forest. The senior vacation for several weeks before Commencement began yesterday, and in consequence there is an empty block of pews in chapel. With your present rules, are not your pews wedded to a pretty permanent emptiness?

PRINCETONIAN.