The Intercollegiate Lawn Tennis Association.

Some account of the work of this association since its inauguration may be of interest to the college. A meeting was held in the spring of '83 at Trinity for the purpose of forming a tennis association which should be open to all American colleges. At this meeting but four colleges were represented. An invitation was extended to Harvard and Williams, but the latter, on account of the death of representive players in college, was unable to accept. In the fall of the same year, a tournament, which was to be the first of a series of annual contests, was held at Hartford. The winners were: In singles. H. A. Taylor, 86, Harvard; second, L. Thorne, '85, Yale; in doubles, Taylor and Presbey, Harvard, with Thorne and Knapp of Yale second. In the fall of '84 the winners were: In singles, Knapp of Yale, and second, Brinley of Trinity; in doubles. Knapp and Thorne, Yale; second, Brinley and Wright, Trinity. The tournament was marked by the defeat of the champion of the United States, Mr. R. D. Sears, by Knapp of Yale.

In 1885, it was agreed by the different members of the association that clay courts instead of turf should be used thereafter and, as a result of this vote, the place of the tournaments was changed to the grounds of the New Haven Lawn Tennis Club, on which all subsequent contests have taken place. The winners of the tournament were: Singles, Knapp of Yale and Brinley of Trinity; doubles, Knapp and Shipman of Yale, and Chase and Pratt of Amherst. By 1886, all the leading American colleges of the East had joined the association. The tournament of '86 gave first prize in singles to Brinley of Trinity, and second to Thacher of Yale; in the doubles, to Knapp and Thacher of Yale and Brinley and Paddock of Trinity. In 1887, University of Penn, was represented for the first time. There were delegations from ten colleges. Sears of Harvard won the singles, with Campbell of Columbia second. Sears and Shaw of Harvard won the doubles, with Hall and Campbell of Columbia second, The tournament of this year was in no wise less successful than its predecessors. Sears of Harvard again captured the first prize in singles by defeating Hall of Columbia. Hall and Campbell, however, in the doubles won from Sears and Shaw of Harvard.

Thus it will be seen that so far, Yale and Harvard have each won five first places; but Yale leads inasmuch as she has three second places to her credit to Harvard's one. Trinity is third with one first and four seconds, with Columbia close behind with one first and three seconds. Amherst has won one second prize.