Women to be Admitted to Columbia College.

Columbia College has taken another step forward, and this time it is to allow the admission of women to its higher courses.

On Monday last the trustees of Columbia College voted to establish a new department in the collegiate course for women, whereby they may obtain, after a post-graduate course, the degrees of Master of Arts, (A. M.), and Doctor of Arts, (D. A.), and may also pursue a higher course of study for the degrees of Doctor of Letters, (L. H. D.), and Doctor of Philosophy, (Ph. D.), the time in which they are to be awarded these degrees to be not less than two years after graduation. The faculty of the School of Arts was authorized to prepare the scheme of study. It was also provided that graduates of other colleges may compete for the degrees.

In this action, Columbia is the first of the large colleges to take the step of giving to women the same privileges as are extended to men. Whether this progressive movement will call forth corresponding action from her sister universities remains to be seen. For some time the smaller colleges-Colby, Wesleyan and others-have admitted women as candidates for degrees, but until the plan is adopted by the more prominent institutions of learning the success of this revolutionary attempt cannot be assured.

As far as Harvard is concerned, it is unlikely that any such step will be taken, as the Annex, Wellesley and Boston University are quite capable of satisfying the intellectual cravings of the young women of Massachusetts.