The Second Winter Meeting.

There were not quite as many people at the meeting Saturday as are usually present on the first ladies' day; nevertheless the gymnasium was well filled. The meeting was somewhat shorter than usual and the events followed one another without any delays.

The first event was the fence-vault, for which there were four entries: Tallant, '91, G. W. Pearson, L. S., Barney, '90, and Lund, '88. Lund dropped out when the bar reached 6 ft. 6 in., and Tallant, when it reached 6 ft. 10 1-4 in. Barney and Pearson both vaulted the bar at 6 ft. 10 2-5 in.; but neither was able to vanlt any higher and the result was declared a tie.

The feather-weight sparring bout between E. W. Grew, '89, and P. Marquand, ,89, was the most interesting event of the day. Both men seemed to be in good condition, although Grew, perhaps, was trained down too fine. The first round began with very lively sparring, Marquand forcing the fight. He worked a great deal for Greew body while the latter confined his blows to Marquand's head. The round ended in Marquand's favor. In the second round Marquand forced the fight at first, but toward the end fought as the defensive and Grew did the forcing. Grew worked for Marquand's head entirely, and got in some god blows. The round ended in his favor. Marquand again forced the fighting in the third round and the effect of his body blows began to tell on to Grew. He was full of grit, however, and kept at it pluckily till time was called. Marquand plainly had the best of this round and the bout was awarded to him. Grew used his left almost altogether; he got in only two of the hard, right arm swings that marked his sparring last year. Marquand used both arms very well, and showed himself to be an exceedingly clever and plucky sparrer. The bout was one of the prettiest in feather-weight sparring that has been seen in the gymnasium in a long time. This entire gentlemanliness and good-nature of the contestants, together with the grit and vigor with which they fought, showed that sparring is not necessarily what some recent exhibitions might lead observers to suppose. The contestants were warmly applauded after each round.

There was an unusually large number of entries for fencing this year. The first bout was between W. D. Brewer, L. S., and L. M. Greer, '91. This bout was interesting, though Greer showed evident superiority, scoring seven points to his opponent's four. The next bout, between J. M. Morton, '91, and E. S. Rawson, '90, was somewhat livelier, and the contestants were pretty evenly matched. Rawson won the bout by seven points to six.

There were four entries for the standing high jump, which was the next event: F. B. Lund, '88, G. S. Mandell, '89, F. G. Curtis, '90, G. L. Barney, '90. Lund won the event by a jump of 4 feet 8 3-4 inches. Curtis was second.

W. F. Pillsbury, '89, and G. L. Barney, '90, were the only contestants for the cup for paralle-bar feats. This event was not nearly so well contested as usual, none of the more difficult and showy feats on the bars being performed. The event was won by Pillsbury.

The light-weight sparring was the next event on the programme. The only entries were J. W. Lawrence, '91, and H. S. Phillips, Gr. Phillips opened the first round on the offensive, going at his man with the evident intention of annihilating him. Lawrence stood the punishment well and returned enough blows to make the honors about even at the end of the first round. Both men fought carefully during the second round. Phillips got in some hard blows, and Lawrence seemed pretty well used up when time was called. The third round opened much the same as the second, Phillips getting in some hard hits on his opponent's face and body. After a few moments, however, Lawrence planted a heavy blow on Phillips' face which floored him. When he came to time again, Lawrence floored him a second time. He was unable to come to time after this, and the bout was awarded to Lawrence. The sparring in this bout partook to a large degree of the nature of slugging, simple and unadorned, without having the redeeming quality of being scientific slugging. Both gentlemen, however, showed considerable pluck, particularly Lawrence.

The final bout in fencing was now fought between Rawson and Greer, the winners of the preliminary rounds. This bout was rather slow, as the men fought cautiously. The bout was finally given to Greer, who scored seven points to his opponent's three.

The tug-of-war between '88 and '89 was the last event of the meeting. The victory for '88 was almost a foregone conclusion. In spite of this fact, however, the '89 team pulled very pluckily. The senior team got the drop by one quarter of an inch, and soon pulled away an inch or so more. Balch caught Perry as he came down to heave and the ribbon was six inches on the '88 side. Perry, by skillful handling of the rope and by the plucky work of the team, succeeded in getting back all but an inch. The '88 team, however, pulled away three inches again, and when time was called the rope was four inches on their side of the line. The teams were as follows: '88-1, E. A. Pease; 2, C. H. Baldwin; 3, P. Chase; anchor, F. G. Balch. '89-1, P. Marquand; 2, F. O. Raymond, jr.; 3, J. Endicott; anchor, G. Perry.