Literature as a Profession.

Colonel T. W. Higginson, in his lecture last evening in Sever 11, said that the number of men actually engaged in literature as a profession in the United States was small, and, even with the addition of the journalists, amounted to only thirteen thousand. This is not remarkable, as the profession of literature is of recent origin, and only the vast extension of printing in the last forty years has rendered it possible. Every man must choose his occupation with reference to his own natural gifts. If wealth is the only object of life, not literature but all the professions must be ruled out. Enormous gains can only be hoped for in commerce. The most celebrated lawyers seldom have an income of over $50,000, and the most famous clergymen and physicians rarely receive more than $20,000 annually. The thing to be considered is not the maximum prize but the chance of success. Literature is comparatively free from the risks of failure to which the merchant is exposed. The young clergyman, lawyer, or physician often has a hard struggle to earn his daily bread but an author who is even decently equipped rarely spends the year without earning something. The profession of literature is very attractive, and contains more men who love their work than any other. The fame of an author is far-reaching, and extends wherever there are active intellects. In this it has a great advantage over the limited range of the greatest legal or medical reputations. One brilliant story gives a young man a position and influence which cannot be measured in money. Even a third rate author can rest assured that he has friends everywhere, and the receipt of letters from his admirers will be a most enjoyable experience. Although there are no regular grooves leading up to this profession, yet the approach is easy. There are no examinations to be under-gone, and no special training is necessary. The interest of the publisher is the same as that of the author, and there is no antagonism. The old writers are dropping out of the ranks, and it is the strongest desire of every editor to discover an unknown genius.