Harvard Defeated by the U. of P.

The 50 spectators who assembled at Watertown yesterday were amply repaid for their trouble by witnessing as exciting a team match as has been shot this year It seems that the Pennsylvania men have profited by their two defeats of last season, and as a result they sent up to Cambridge a team of which they may well feel proud. The visitors took the lead on the first round, and held it to the finish, but from this it must not be inferred that the match was a one-sided affair, for, when the last bird of the 320 shot at had been broken, it was found that the winners had but six to spare. Palmer's score of 35 led both teams, while Dolan's 34 was an excellent second. As a whole the shooting was extremely good, the averages being higher than have been reached before on the Harvard grounds.

Summary.- University of Pennsylvania vs. Harvard. Teams of four; 40 birds per man; 5 angles; 12 bores at 16 yards, 10 bores at 18 yards. Watertown, May 10, 1888. Score by rounds of 10.

UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA.Dolan, 9 8 8 9-34

Smith, 9 7 10 7-33

Randolph, (capt.) 8 7 8 8-31

Farquhar, 10 9 8 6-33

Total, 131

HARVARD.M. H. Clyde, '88, 7 6 8 7-28

W. Austin, L. S., 8 7 8 7-30

F. S. Palmer, L. S., 8 9 9 9-35

C. Green, '89, (capt) 10 6 10 6-32

Total, 125

Judges. Mr. G. C. Charles, J. P. G. C., Capt. J. S. Sawyer, M. R. A. Referee, Mr. R. Schaeffer, W. G. C. Scorers, J. A. Frye, M. R. A., D. C. Holder, H. S. C. Average of winning team, 32 3-4; average of losing team, 31 1-4 Time, 1 h. 20 m.