Meeting of the New York Alumni.

At the annual meeting of the Harvard Club, May 12, the New York alumni discussed the recent restrictions of the overseers. About one hundred members of the club were present, and the unanimous sentiment was in favor not only of retaining the old system of sports but also of allowing contests with professionals. The following resolutions were drawn up by George Walton Green, who recently presented the petition of the alumni to the Board of Overseers:-

"Whereas, the Board of Overseers of Harvard College have laid upon the table the petition of a large number of members of the Harvard Club of New York City in favor of abolishing the restriction which prohibits the college nine from playing with other than amateur clubs; and,

"Whereas, A majority of the Committee on Athletics of the Board of Overseers have signed a report requesting the Faculty to prohibit undergraduates from taking part in intercollegiate athletics, and the Board of Overseers have recommended that such contests should not be allowed to take place outside of New England; and,

"Whereas, We are in entire accord with the Board of Overseers and the Faculty in their endeavor to correct any abuses that may have arisen in connection with athletic contests, and

"Whereas, In the opinion of this club to prohibit undergraduates from taking part in intercollegiate athletics would not tend to correct the alleged abuses, but would be an unwise step, detrimental to the best interests of the undergraduates and the college; and that such abuses, if they exist, are not likely to be cured simply by confining the contests to the New England States; and,

"Whereas, We believe that the best way to encourage the old-time Harvard spirit of open and cordial relations between students and faculty and to foster a spirit of fair play and courtesy toward opponents, is to place the responsibility upon the students themselves, leaving to the faculty the settlement of such limitations of this privilege as may seem advisable:

"Resolved, That we respectfully urge the faculty to abolish the restriction which prevents the University nine playing with other than amateur clubs, and

"Resolved, That the club deems it inadvisable to require the intercollegiate contest to be held in New England, and

"Resolved, that a copy of these resolutions be sent to the members of the Board of Overseers and the Faculty, and to every Harvard club in the country.

The result of the Harvard-Princeton baseball game was announced while the meeting was going on and was greeted with loud applause.

The annual report of the secretary was read, and these officers were elected: President, Francis O. French; vice-president, Edward King; treasurer, Charles H. Russell, jr.; secretary, Evert Jansen Wendell; Board of Managers, Edmund Wetmore, Charles C. Beaman, Nathaniel S. Smith, William S. Seamans, Samuel H. Ordway, T. Frank Brownell, Edward L. Parris, George W. Soren, Louis C. Clark, Amos K. Fiske. Henry H. Crocker, jr., Eugene D. Hawkins, Franklin Bartlett, J. Hampden Robb and George Blagden.