Harvard, 7; Yale, 3.

Harvard defeated Yale Saturday, and by so doing got a long lead in the struggle for the championship. Harvard has, thus far, won five games to Yale's three, and has lost one to her opponent's two.

The day was perfect for base-ball, and the game was witnessed by fully five thousand people. Yale sent up a delegation of about a hundred and fifty, which backed up the nine well. Harvard took the lead so soon, however, that there was no opportunity for them to cheer.

The game was remarkable as being the worst exhibition of ball playing ever done by Yale in Cambridge. Yale gave away the game in the first two innings by an inconceivable bunching of errors. After the second inning, Yale settled down to work and played a splendid game, both in the field and at the bat. Havard's lead was, however, too great to be overcome. Stagg pitched a magnificent game, striking out twelve of his opponents and keeping them down to five scattering hits. Bates also pitched well, although his wildness in the fifth gave Yale two runs. He was splendidly supported by the Harvard nine, all the infield doing good work. Boyden and Howland each cut off a man at the plate by magnificent throws. The batting of the nine was miserably weak and must be improved if Harvard expects to win the championship. McLean umpired acceptably with the exception of his decision refusing to call Stagg out on Howland's fine catch of the former's foul fly to right field.

Dr. Ernest W. W. Coolidge and Sam Winslow, Harvard ex-captains, were present, while ex-captain Bremner of Yale witnessed his nine's defeat from the Yale bench.

The next game occurs in Cambridge on June 23. If Harvard wins it, the championship comes to Cambridge. If Yale is victorious, Harvard will still have a chance to win in the game at New Haven on the 26th June.

The game was called at 3.12 p. m. Harvard went first to the bat and Campbell hit the second ball pitched for one base. Dann had a short passed ball and tried to cut Campbell off at second, but threw far into centre field and Campbell scored. Gallivan knocked a long, high fly to Hunt, which the latter captured. Boyden went out on a ground hit to Stewart and Henshaw struck out. For Yale, the first three men struck out.

Willard opened the second inning by a grounder to Noyes, which was fumbled. Bates struck out. Knowlton advanced Willard a base on a line hit to right field. Quackenboss hit to Noyes, who, in his desire to make a double play, fumbled badly. With three men on base, Stagg made a wild pitch, on which Willard scored, Knowlton taking third. Howland then struck out. Campbell hit to McConkey, who made a pretty stop, but threw far over McBride's head, allowing Knowlton and Quackenboss to score, and giving Campbell his third. Dann finished Yale's wretched exhibition of ball-playing by a throw to third to catch Campbell. The ball struck the runner's back and bounced into left field, allowing Harvard one more run. Gallivan finished the inning by a grounder to short.

For Yale, the first two men struck out, while Hunt went out on a grounder to Campbell.

Score: Harvard, 5; Yale, 0.

Boyden opened Harvard's third with a strike-out. Henshaw followed with a pop-fly to McBride. Willard took first on balls, but was left by Bates' strikeout.

Yale almost scored in the third and was prevented only by Howland's throw to the plate. With two men out, Walker made a hit to left, made a pretty steal to second and was put out at home on Howland's quick fielding of Stagg's base hit.

Knowlton, in the fourth, reached second on McConkey's muff of his fly to short left field, the ball rolling down to the track. Dann had two passed balls in quick succession, giving Harvard its sixth unearned run. With two men out, Campbell reached first on a missed third strike, but was left by Gallivan's easy grounder to Noyes.

Yale went out in order by a fly to Boyden and grouders to Quackenboss and Campbell.

Boyden opened the sixth by a strikeout. Henshaw followed with a single, but was left by Willard's fly to Hunt and Bates' strike-out.

Yale scored twice in the fifth by bunching hits. Dann led off with a clean hit to left. Hunt flied out to Gallivan McBride's hit to right advanced Dann a base, and both scored on two successive wild pitches by Bates. These two runs were direct gifts to Yale by the Harvard pitcher, for Stewart struck out and Walker hit an easy one to Bates.

Score: Harvard, 6; Yale, 2.

Knowlton, in the sixth, retired on a long fly to Hunt. Quackenboss made a single to left and scored on Howland's two-bagger between centre and right, making Harvard's first and only earned run of the game. Campbell and Gallivan both went out, Stewart to McBride.

Yale was again prevented from scoring by Harvard's brilliant playing. Stagg knocked a pop fly to the infleld which dropped in the midst of five Harvard men; Stagg, seeing second uncovered, tried to take more than one base, but was put out, Campbell to Gallivan. McConkey went out on a grounder to short. With two out, Calhoun hit safely to right and stole second. Noyes followed with a beautiful single to centre; Boyden stopped the ball and, by a perfect throw to the plate, shut off Calhoun, who was trying to get home from second on Noyes' hit.

Boyden went out in the seventh on a fly to McConkey, the latter making a very difficult catch. Henshaw flied out to Dann and Stagg struck out Willard.

Yale added one more run to her score in the seventh. With one out, Hunt hit safely to centre and took second and third on Henshaw's missed third strike on McBride. Stewart sent him home on a hit, then stole second, and went to third on Walker's scratch hit in front of the plate. McLean now made the most peculiar decision of the afternoon. Stagg hit a foul to right which Howland captured after a long run. Mc. refused to give him out, claiming not to have seen the catch, However, the inning was closed by Bates' striking out Stagg.

Harvard was easily blanked in the eighth.

For Yale, McConkey and Calhoun struck out. Noyes hit a fly to short right field, which was immediately surrounded by a group of Harvard men. At the last moment, Howland made a grab for the ball but missed it. In the meantime, Noyes was running to second, as no one had thought to cover that base. Campbell picked up the ball and, by good running, reached second before Noyes, retiring the side.

In the ninth, Campbell took his base on balls; went to second on a sacrifice by Gallivan, third on Stagg's wild pitch, but was left by Boyden's strike out.

For Yale, Hunt made a hit, but was thrown out attempting to steal second.

The score:-

HARVARD.A.B. R. B.H. T.B. S.B. P.O. A. E.

Campbell, s.s., 4 2 1 1 0 1 4 1

Gallivan, 2b., 5 0 0 0 0 4 0 0

Boyden, c.f., 5 0 0 0 0 2 1 0

Henshaw, c., 4 0 1 1 0 9 4 1

Willard, 1b., 3 1 0 0 0 11 0 0

Bates, p., 4 0 0 0 0 0 11 0

Knowlton, l.f., 4 2 1 1 0 0 0 0

Quackenboss, 3b., 4 2 1 1 0 0 3 0

Howland, r.f. 4 0 1 2 0 0 1 1

Totals, 37 7 5 6 0 27 24 3

YALE.A.B. R. B.H. T.B. S.B. P.O. A. E.

Stagg, p., 4 0 1 1 0 0 13 2

McConkey, s.s., 4 0 0 0 0 2 2 2

Calhoun, r.f., 4 0 1 1 1 0 0 0

Noyes, 3b., 4 0 1 1 0 1 1 2

Dann, c., 4 1 1 1 0 12 1 3

Hunt, c.f., 4 1 2 2 0 3 0 0

McBride, 1b., 4 1 1 1 0 9 0 0

Stewart, 2b., 3 0 1 1 1 0 3 0

Walker, l.f., 3 0 2 2 2 0 0 0

Totals, 34 3 10 10 4 27 20 9

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard, 1 4 0 1 0 1 0 0 0-7

Yale, 0 0 0 2 0 0 1 0 0-3

Earned runs-Harvard, 1. Two-base hit-Howland. Reached first base-Harvard, 11; Yale, 12. First base on balls-Willard, Campbell. First base on errors-Harvard, 7; Yale, 2. Struck out-Harvard, 12; Yale, 10. Passed balls-Yale, 2. Wild pitches-Harvard, 2; Yale, 2. Flies caught-Harvard, 5; Yale, 6. Fouls caught-Yale, 2. Out on bases-Yale. 5. Left on bases-Harvard, 5; Yale, 4, Time-2h. 25m. Umpire-McLean of Philadelphia.