The FootBall Squad.

The football squad which is now daily at work in the gymnasium under the direction of Mr. Lathrop has been formed for the purpose of bringing more directly under the observation of Captain Cumnock all those men, in whatever branch of the university they may be, who seem to be at all fitted for a position on next year's eleven. The men are under the command of ex-Captain Sears, who will also watch the candidates carefully. Everyone who considers himself at all likely to be able to play football, whether he has played before or not, is expected to join this squad. The work will not be too vigorous-no more than everyone would do of his own accord. The squad will meet dressed and ready for exercise at 4.15 every afternoon. The men will go through dumb-bell and parallel-bar exercise, and will work in a general way with the ladders and chest-weights. The exercises will end with work with the large shot. The squad will be through by 5 o'clock. Captain Cumnock will be on the lookout for everyone who can be made available in any way whatever. He has come to the conclusion that it is impossible to bring together a properly trained eleven in so short a time as is left after the opening of college in the autumn-only two months-and he has determined that the candidates for this year's eleven shall begin training at once.

The backs are to receive especial attention. While in the gymnasium all candidates for these positions will be trained with special reference to strengthening them above the waist. As soon as the spring opens the halfbacks will practice kicking every day, while the quarter-backs will learn to pick up and throw the ball accurately. The fullbacks will be expected to work all summer practicing, kicking, and running.