Mr. Lawton's Lecture.

THE PROPOSED EXCAVATIONS AT DELPHI.

Next Friday evening Mr. William Cranston Lawton will deliver under the auspices of the Harvard Classical Club a public lecture in Sever 11, on the proposed excavation of Delphi under the direction of the Archaeological Institute of America. Less than a year ago Professor Norton delivered in the same place an address, in which, after making mention of the past and present aspect of the site of the ancient temple of Delphi, he gave some account of the attitude of the Greek government toward the American proposal to undertake investigation on Greek soil. Since that time matters have been gradually maturing. After some negotiation the Greek government conceded to the Institute the privilege of excavating the ancient oracle, provided the sum required for the removal of the villags of Kastin, now standing on the site, should be assured before the first of December, 1889. There now remains six weeks before that date. Much has already been done; much remains to be done.

Shall America undertake the excavation of this spot, the richest perhaps in practical and historical associations of any in Greek lands, or shall she allow Germany or France to step in and take the honor? This is a question which should be of deep interest to Harvard students.

Mr. Lawton is well known to Cambridge people. He is a graduate of Harvard, and is at present actively engaged as agent of the Institute and secretary of the Delphic committee, in furthering the good work that is going on.