WILL HARVARD EXPLAIN THIS?

A Charge that Ought to be Answered.

PRINCETON, Nov. 26-There was considerable indignation and excitement here today when the copy of the letter addressed to the Philadelphia Press by a young athlete, who was approached by Harvard men and offered remuneration for his services if he would enter Harvard and play on the Harvard base ball nine and foot ball eleven, was received, and this charge makes Harvard's position ticklish in the extreme.

In an editorial published in the Crimson on Thursday last, Harvard charges Princeton with everything which a reputable institution and foot ball team should be ashamed of, and winds up by making the following boast: "The writer points out that now is the time for decisive action if Harvard wishes to put the mark of her condemnation upon the tendencies toward professionalism which are fast gaining headway. If Harvard alone wishes to see athletics put on a higher plane, let her withdraw, although it seems hardly probable that she would be allowed to act alone in this matter. Whatever is the means employed, the writer urges that Harvard may put herself in such a position that with all truth she may make this announcement: This university is for learning first, for gentlemanly sports next, for professionalism not at all." The letter printed below is a bad confirmation of the last statement. As to her being for gentlemanly sports, one of her men in Saturday's game showed he could be the reverse by slugging his Yale opponent after he had been disqualified for striking the same man, an act which hitherto has been unheard of. Here is the copy of the letter:

To the Editor of the Press:

SIR.- A statement appeared recently in New York and Philadelphia papers in which it was alleged that certain inducements had been extended to me by a prominent Harvard base ball official to enter the Harvard Law School and play on the Harvard base ball nine and foot ball eleven. Though the name of Linn of the Harvard nine was not mentioned, he has seen fit to deny that overtures were made by him. Under the existing circumstances, therefore, it seems desirable to state the existing basis of the statement in the papers. Inducements of the character mentioned- a scholarship and pecuniary compensation. a ticket for Boston, and c-were extended to me by a Harvard man early in November to enter the Law school at Harvard and become a member of the Harvard base ball nine and foot ball eleven. The gentleman in question was not Captain Linn, nor am I able to give the official connection with the Harvard associate of the gentleman who approached me. However, the overtures were made, and my reply at the time was as has already been stated, and I take no interest in college athletics, and would not under any consideration engage in athletics for emoluments, or under considerations other than those of personal enjoyment. Very respectfully,

R. S. AMMERMAN.I cannot explain this for Harvard because Mr. Ammerman does not furnish me with the information asked for, but there are a few facts in the matter which I should like to have answered.

If there was a letter written, as the delegate to the Foot Ball convention said, what has become of it? To whom and by whom was it written? Mr. Ammerman does not mention a letter. The first article, (see above) said the offer was made by an influential member of the Harvard nine. The second article says it was a Harvard man, and Mr. Ammerman is not able to give his official connection with the Harvard association.

In the first article Mr. Ammerman is offered his "tuition and board and a cash bonus besides;" in the second a scholarship and pecuniary compensation." On inquiry I learn that there are eight scholarships at the Harvard Law school. A condition attached to each and all of them is that the candidate must pass an examination at the end of his first year at the school. The scholarships were awarded in October of this year, a considerable time before Mr. Ammerman was "approached." The first article says the offer was made on November 14. The second says it was early in November. November 14 was the day but one before the Harvard Princeton game, hardly time enough to put a new man on the team.

I have been informed that Mr. Ammerman is a base ball player, but I cannot find that he has any reputation as a foot ball player. He was not a member of Pennsylvania's foot ball team which played Harvard this year

In lack of the evidence which a reply to my letter to Mr. Ammerman alone can supply, and from his silence when asked to name his man, and from what I have been able to learn as above stated I am led to believe that what Mr. Ammerman says of himself is true that "he takes no interest in college athletics," and also that there is no importance to be attached to his statement which is not worth the discussion it has caused.

In conclusion it seems that either there was a deliberate attempt made by certain persons to throw discredit upon Harvard by concocting this story-or if there be any truth in Mr. Ammerman's statement that he was made such an offer (in its nature hardly flattering to himself). in the light of the evidence on the subject it would seem more probable that the tempter was an imposter making these advances under the guise of a Harvard man, with the deliberate purpose of subsequently making capital therefrom, than that Harvard athletics were responsible.

The whole story gives rise to suspicion of that craft in intercollegiate matters in which I admit Harvard is far behind some of her contemporaries, and savors too much of the worse features of American polities.

WILLIAM HOOPER.