The December Century.

The leading article in the Century for December is the Selections from Wellington's Letters, by Mrs. Davies-Evans. The extracts are from his correspondence with Mrs. Jones of Pantglas in 1851-2 and reveal a side of the Iron Duke which his biographers have hitherto left unnoticed. The second part of Mr. Jefferson's autobiography contains chiefly an account of his experience starring in the south in connection with Burton, Burke, Owen, Wallack and other actors of the forties. The history of Abraham Lincoln by Hay and Nicolay is drawing to a close, the topic for this number being the fall of Richmond. The serials, "Friend Olivia" by Amelia E. Barr, and "The Merry Chanters" by Frank R. Stockton are continued. The other articles are "The New Croton Aqueduct" by Charles Barnard, "Captain Joe" by F. H. Smith, "The Nature and Method of Revelation" by George P. Fisher, and "The Paris Panorama of the Nineteenth Century" by Alfred Stevens and Henri Gervex. The number as a whole is above the average in interest.