Races of the Canoe Club.

Yesterday afternoon the races of the Canoe club, which had been postponed from Tuesday on account of rain, took place off the floats of the Union Boat Club. There was little wind and the water was quite calm.

The first event was a sailing race over a triangular course of about one and one half miles. The entries were B. B. Crowninshield, '90; G. L. Batchelder, '92, and Cartwright, Puritan Canoe club. The start was a flying one, the men being given one minute in which to cross the line. Cartwright crossed the line on the wrong side of the stake boat and lost much time in returning and crossing again. Crowninshield was the first to get away. He was followed thirty seconds later by Batchelder, and Cartwright was thirty-nine seconds behind Batchelder. The relative order was not changed throughout the race, and Crowninshield won easily; Soon after Crowninshield had crossed the line the wind died out completely.

The second race, which took place while the first was still in progress, was open to tandem birches. The entries were R. L. Weeks, '91, J. W. Ganson, '92; C. L. Crehore, '90, H. G. Vaughan '90. Crehore and Vaughan won easily by about fifty yards.

The third and last race was for tandem canoes starting from the Union Boat House and finishing at the Harvard bridge. The entries were J. R. Van Schaick, L. S.- S. E. Carpenter, '89; G. L. Deblois '89-W. H. Butters, '89: G. L. Batchelder, '92-C. P. Cheney '92; Cartwright-Webster, Puritan Canoe Club. The race was won by Batchelder and Cheney. Van Schaick and Carpenter were second by fifteen seconds. Deblois and Butters capsized.