Modern Language Conference.

The First Meeting to be held Monday.

Next Monday, December 1, will be the first day during this term for the Modern Language Conference of Harvard University to meet. The Modern Language Conference was established last year by the departments of English, German, French, and Roman Philology, with the purpose of promoting advanced study and research in the modern languages and literatures, and of bringing together instructors and students engaged in the various branches of Modern Philology. This year the organization of the Conference has been completed, Professor Child having consented to assume the presidency. It is proposed to hold meetings about once a month for the rest of the term, and already a respectable number of papers treating subjects of general interest to modern language students has been secured. The programme of the meeting on December 1, as announced in the calendar, embraces papers on "The French in Shakespeare," on "The Liberal Student Movement in Germany," and on "A Problem in Middle English." At the second meeting, which probably will be held on Dec. 15, among other subjects Didert's influence upon Goethe, the names of the English Alphabet, and David Mallet's literary forgeries will be considered. The meetings will be open to all members of the University interested in modern language study and literary criticism.