Harvard and Yale Athletics.

1890-92.

The following articles shall hereafter regulate contest between the students of Harvard and Yale Universities in base ball, football, rowing, and track and field athletics, for the three years 1890-92 [or until the expiration of nine months after notice by either university of its desire to withdraw from this arrangement].

ARTICLE I.Amateurs.

Rule 1. No one shall be allowed to represent either university in any athletic contest either individually or as a member of any team, unless he is, and intends to be throughout his college year, a bona fide member of the university, taking a full year's work.

Rule 2. No one shall be allowed to represent either university in any athletic contest, either individually, or as a member of any team, who either before or since entering the university shall have engaged for money in any athletic competition, whether for a stake, or a money prize, or a share of the entrance fees, or admission money, or who shall have taught or engaged in any athletic exercise or sport as a means of livelihood; or who shall at any time have received for taking part in any athletic sport or contest any pecuniary gain or emolument whatever, direct or indirect, with the single exception that he may have received from the college organization or from any permanent organization of which he was at the time a member the amount by which the expenses necessarily incurred by him in representing his organization in athletic contests exceed his ordinary expenses.

Rule 2 shall not be retroactive, in the sense of disqualifying by reason of past acts men who would not have been disqualified thereby under the practice existing in 1889. In exceptional cases the separate Conference Committees hereinafter mentioned may by special vote, remove the disqualification incurred under Rule 2 by acts before entrance to college.

ARTICLE II.Time Limitation.

No student shall be eligible as a member of any university team in any one of the four sports before mentioned after the expiration of the three academic years immediately following that in which he played for the first time in an intercollegiate contest with the university team representing the same sport.

From the beginning of the year 1892 university teams shall be composed exclusively of the following persons:

1. Candidates for the degree of A. B. or B. S.

2. Special students in the academic and scientific departments, not being graduates of any college.

ARTICLE III.Playing Rules.

The umpires and referees in football contests shall be of the requisite age and character to insure a rigid enforcement of the rules of the game. For any misconduct which under the now existing rules would disqualify a player from further participation in a particular contest, the opposing team shall receive points, the number thereof to be determined hereafter by the Football Conference committee.

In other respects the games and contests shall be played according to the rules which governed in the intercollegiate contests in which both Yale and Harvard participated in the year 1889, subject to such modifications as may be made, by mutual agreement by separate conference committees for each sport.

ARTICLE IV.Trophies.

Championship flags shall be awarded annually to each one of the winning teams in the four sports named.

ARTICLE V.Number, Time and Place of Contests.

Section 1. Base Ball : There shall be four games of base ball annually between the "nines" of the universities, two to be played at New Haven and two at Cambridge. In case the games result in a tie a fifth game shall be played. Tie games shall be played alternately at New Haven and Cambridge. Of the four games the third shall be at Cambridge the day after Harvard Class Day and the fourth at New Haven on the Tuesday of Yale Commencement Week.

There shall be an annual game of base ball between the freshman nines of the two colleges and Scientific schools, to be played in alternate years at New Haven and Cambridge respectively.

Section 2, football: There shall be two games of Football annually between the "elevens" of the two universities, the first to be played on the second Saturday before Thanksgiving Day, the second to be played on Thanksgiving Day. One of the games shall be played in Cambridge and the other in New Haven or New York as Yale shall elect. If New York is chosen, the second game shall be played there. If New Haven is selected, the second game shall be played in alternate years at Cambridge and New Haven respectively. In case the games result in a tie the victory shall belong to the team scoring the greater number of points.

There shall be an annual game of football between the freshman "elevens" of the two colleges and Scientific schools to be played in alternate years at New Haven and Cambridge respectively.

Section 3. Rowing: There shall be an annual race between the university crews and also between the freshman crews of the two universities.

Section 4. Track and Field Athletics: There shall be an annual contest between the two universities in track and field athletics, which shall take place in alternate years at New Haven and Cambridge respectively.

ARTICLE VI.Business Arrangements and Matters of Detail.

Except as herein before provided, all business arrangements and matters of detail relating to the contests shall be in the control of separate conference committees for each sport.

ARTICLE VII.Freshman Defined.

Members of the freshman class of the Academic and Scientific departments, during their first year of residence at the university, and first year special students of these departments shall alone be eligible to freshman teams. No special student shall play on a freshman team who has passed more than one year in the Academic or Scientific department of any university.

ARTICLE VIII.Announcement of Names of Players.

Each of the university and freshman teams shall send to the opposing team a complete list of its players and substitutes at least one month before the date of the contest in which they are to take part. No one whose name is not on such list shall be allowed to play in an intercollegiate game, except by the consent of the opposing team. All objections to the eligibility of the persons whose names appear upon the said lists, shall be considered as waived, unless taken at least fifteen days before the contests in which they are to take part.

ARTICLE IX.Arbitration.

In the event of any difficulty arising in the interpretation or application of the foregoing articles or the agreements that may be made by the separate conference committees for each sport, two representatives, one from Yale and one from Harvard, shall meet and endeavor to adjust the difficulty. In case they cannot agree they shall choose a third person, not a member or graduate of either university, to act with them. The decision of the majority of these three persons shall be final.

JAMES B. AMES, Chairman.

S. W. WINSLOW,

WM. H. GOODWIN,

H. W. KEYES,-Graduates.

A. J. CUMNOCK,

P. B. LINN,

EDWARD STURGIS,

J. H. HUNT,

R. F. HERRICK,-Undergraduates.