Ninety-four 10; Ninety-five 6.

The sophomores defeated the freshmen yesterday afternoon in the first game for the class championship by a a score of ten to six.

The game was a poor one and from the freshman standpoint a very poor one. The Ninety-five eleven played a loose, life-less game and was especially weak in the line. The sophomores had a very clever wedge, which revolved always to the right and their opponents seemed totally unable to stop it. The Ninety-four team was strong where the freshmen were weak and fairly outplayed the latter. This however does not excuse the poor showing made by Ninety-five for that the team can play better foot ball it evinced by the brace towards the end of the game. What the team seemed principally to lack was confidence. Ninety-our played with some dash and life as though desirous of wiping out some of their last year's games.

The freshmen won the toss and took the ball. Their V availed them nothing nor did their backs, so that they lost the ball on four downs. Borden started off but tripped. Gardner had worse luck and lost the ball. The freshmen were very slow and again lost the ball on four downs Ninety-four lost the ball and the freshman made ten yards through the centre, but McNear was slow and ran into Ladd's arms. A poor pass helped the freshmen to get four downs, but in turn they forced Hoag to kick. Jackson made nothing around the end nor Huyler through the centre, so that again the ball was lost on four downs. The sophomores now braced up and began steadily to force the ball towards the freshman line. They began to use the wedge and it almost always succeeded. During one of the rushes the ball was fumbled and just as it rolled over the line Beals fell on it and scored. Hoag missed the goal. Score, 4 to 0. Time was soon called with the ball at the 30 yard line.

The second half was opened by the revolving wedge and the sophomores shoved the ball right down the field and soon Hoag emerged with a touch down. He kicked the goal. Score, 10 to 0. The freshmen tried Jackson and McNear but soon aided by a good tackle by Blake Ninety-four got the ball again on four downs. The wedge was again very effective and the ball was rapidly going towards the freshman goal when it was fumbled and rolled back. Wadsworth picked it up and with no one near him ran the length of the field and scored. Whitman kicked the goal. Score 10 to 6.

This seemed to wake up the freshmen and for the next ten minutes they played with some life. It looked as if they yet might win but a poor pass lost a good idea and the other side got the ball. This settled the game and in a few minutes time was called with the ball in Ninety-five's territory.

The teams were made up as follows:

NINETY-FOUR. NINETY-FIVE.

Ladd, (left end) Wadsworth.

McDonald, (left tackle) Pierce.

Blake, (left guard) Wardner.

Whitney, (centre) Webb.

Williams, (right guard) Murchie.

Beals, (right tackle) Winttren.

Weed, (right end) Richardson.

Cabot, (quarter back) Whitman.

Borden, half backs Jackson.

Gardner, half backs McNear.

Hoag, (full back) Huyler.

Referee, R. E. Forbes, L. S. Umpire, J. H. Hunt, '92.