The Organization of a New Congress.

In view of the recent opening of Congress, Professor Hart took the opportunity last evening to explain how the thing was done. The organizing of the Senate, he said, took this year one hour and three minutes, - nearly twice as long as usual. It will probably take the House to organize between one and three months. In beginning a new session, the clerk of the previous Congress opens the business, and the House proceeds to the election of a speaker. This election, however, is merely a form, for the speaker has long since ceased to be chosen by the House. The selection of this important officer lies with the caucus of the party which holds the majority. No contest for the nomination of speaker has been so hotly contested as that of the present year.

After the election of the speaker, he is sworn into office, and then all newly elected members are sworn in by him.

As to the rules of the House, every Congress has its own, and until they are framed practically no work can be done. One of the most important rules is that which determines the number of standing committees.

Congress can hardly be said to be organized until the call of States has been made. That call will be made a few days hence, and the four thousand or more bills that will then be presented will represent the bulk of the work which the present Congress will have to perform.