Vesper Service.

Dr. Donald preached at Vespers at Appleton Chapel yesterday from the text, "Set your affections on things above, not on things of the earth," taken from the third chapter of the Epistle to the Colossians. Everyone, he said, has before him the choice of what he shall do and how he shall do it. How he chooses is the best test of the man. Here in a University we are constantly called upon to choose between pleasure and duty, and even in our work we must always be choosing what sort of things we shall do. Here are many things set before us and most of them good things. Shall we now choose the serious and lasting or shall we give ourselves up to idleness and enjoyment? The college must always be judged by the spirit of the students. The outside world will not value Harvard according to the number of men it graduates or even by the number and quality of the professors, but always by the kind of men that are graduated. If, then, a day should some time come when the body of students change from serious to trifling, it will be a very sad thing.

We know that "where our treasure is, there will our heart be also." When we have once made our choice our whole strength and interest goes out to it. So, if we choose wisely for once, we are building in the right place and we may rest assured that we shall not want to turn back.

The choir sang: "Fight the Good Fight," by Parker; "Ho, Every One that Thirsteth," by Martin; and "To Thee I Lift Up My Soul," by King Hall.