President of Stanford University.

David Starr Jordan, President of the Indiana State University, has accepted the presidency of the Stanford University, at Palo Alto, Cal. This means the loss to Indiana of her most distinguished educator. The salary attached to Mr. Jordan's new position is $10,000 with a residence. The university over which he is to preside will start, says Senator Stanford, with the kindergarten, and end with post-graduates from the highest course possible.

Dr. Jordan's first experience as a college instructor was in the botanical department of Cornell. While teaching botany there he himself took the regular college course, and graduated in 1872, at the age of twenty-one. The next four years he spent at the Indiana State Medical College, in the vacations lecturing on marine botany at the Anderson Summer School of Natural History, on Penikese Island, Mass., and on botany and ichthyology at the Harvard School of Geology at the Cumberland Gap. He next held in succession the chairs of biology in Butler University and in the Indiana University.

During 1879-81 Professor Jordan was a special agent of the United States census for the maritime industries of the Pacific coast, and has also held appointments at various times as assistant to the United States National Museum.

In 1884 he was elected President of the Indiana University, and this position he has held until now. He has introduced many reforms, and his influence as an educator has been very great throughout Indiana.

President Jordan's studies have covered a wide range, but his specialty is fishes, and he is an acknowledged authority in this branch of science. He has printed over 200 papers on American ichthyology and a manual of the vertebrae of North America. He is the vertebrate anatomist of whom President Eliot spoke last night.