Harvard 10; Dartmouth O.

The Dartmouth team yesterday proved itself to be a very weak one, and Harvard won with the greatest ease. Our men were able to hit Hartshorne apparently at will, while the Dartsmouth players could get only four singles off Bates' delivery. In the field Dartmouth played a wretched game, Baehr and Eaton being especially weak. With the exception of two errors by Cook Harvard's play was faultless, Hallowell and Howe putting up an especially pretty game. Dean was back at second base, where he played until the sixth inning. Our base running was better than on Monday, but there is still much room for improvement. In the fifth inning Cook made a pretty hit on which he might have perfectly well come home, but he kept turning around to look at the ball, and was thrown out at third. In the seventh inning in trying to make two bases Cobb's sacrifice, he was caught at the plate on a poor slide. In the same inning Bates was caught at second, when he had plenty of time to get back to the base.

For the first four innings Dartmouth's men went out in one, two, three order, Harvard playing with a great deal of snap. In the first inning, with one man out, Heath got to first on a muffed third strike, but he was quickly caught there by Bates and Trafford. Baehr struck out. In the second, Joyce was the first man out. Boutelle got the only base on balls which Bates gave during the game, but he also was caught at first. Throughout the game Bates was very efficient in keeping the Dartmouth men close to their bases. Eaton struck out. In the third all three Dartmouth men struck out. In the fourth Abbott made the first base hit for his team. He stole second and was thrown out while trying to make third on Baehr's grounder to Hovey. Heath meanwhile filed out. Bach, who reached first while Abbott was being retired at third, was thrown out at second, and the side was out.

Meanwhile Harvard had been piling up her runs. Dean, who was loudly applauded when he first came to the bat, took the first ball that was pitched and sent it beyond the right field fence for a home run. Hallowell followed with a clear hit to centre. He took second on a passed ball. Hovey hit to Boutelle, who threw wild to Thompson, and Hallowell came in. Hovey, who had taken second on the wild throw, got to third on Thompson's muff of Trafford's easy fly, and came home on Frothingham's hit to centre. Trafford was thrown out in trying to get to second. Alward hit safely and Frothingham got to second, but went out at third. Cook fouled out to the catcher, and the first inning ended with three runs to the good. In the second inning, after Cobb and Bates were out, Dean got his base on balls, stole second, and came in on Hallowell's two bagger to centre. Hallowell got to the plate on a hit by Hovey. Trafford went out on a grounder to the pitcher, and Hovey was left. In the third inning Alward was put out at the plate on the throw in by Heath of Cobbs' hit, and Harvard made no runs. In the fourth Bates reached first on Abbott's fumble of his grounder, second on Eaton's fumble of Deane's grounder, and home on Eaton's wild throw to Thompson. Hallowell hit to short while Dean was on first. The latter was forced out at second. Hallowell stole second. Hovey knocked still another grounder to Eaton, who again fumbled, and Hallowell came home. Hovey stole second and came home on a passed ball. Trafford filed out and Frothingham struck out.

In the fifth inning Dartmouth for the first time sent four men to the bat. With one man out Boutelle reached first on Cook's fumble of his grounder, and there remained while Eaton and Thompson went out. Harvard earned another run in this inning on a scratch hit by Alward, and Cook's three-bagger to the fence.

In the sixth Abbott made the second base hit for Dartmouth, but no one got beyond first. Harvard still again earned a run on Hovey's three base hit and Frothingham's sacrifice.

In the seventh Baehr got to first on another fumble by Cook but was forced out at second. For Harvard Cook got his base on balls, took second on a wild pitch, and third on Cobb's sacrifice. Bates knocked a grounder to Eaton, who threw Cook out at the plate. Bates stole second, where he was shortly after caught. In the eighth no Dartmouth man reached second, and Harvard went out in one, two, three order.

The game ended with a double play by Soule and Trafford. With one man out Baehr made a base hit. Joyce followed with a grounder to Soule, who, with Trafford's aid, retired both Baehr and Joyce.

HARVARD.a. b. r. b. h. t. b. s. h. p. o. a. e.

Dean, 2b., 2 2 1 4 0 0 0 0

Hallowell, c. f., 5 3 2 3 0 4 0 0

Hovey, s. s., 5 3 3 5 0 3 2 0

Trafford, 1b., 4 0 0 0 0 7 0 0

Frothingham, r. f. 4 0 1 1 1 0 0 0

Alward, l. f., 4 1 2 2 0 0 0 0

Cook, 3b., 3 0 1 3 0 1 0 2

Cobb, c., 4 0 1 1 1 10 3 0

Bates, p., 4 1 0 0 0 0 16 0

Soule, 2b., 1 0 0 0 0 2 2 0

Totals, 36 10 11 19 2 27 23 2

DARTMOUTH.a. b. r. b. h. t. b. s. h. p. o. a. e.

Abbott, 3b. 4 0 2 2 0 2 4 1

Heath, c. f, 4 0 0 0 0 1 1 0

Baehr, 2b. 4 0 1 1 0 1 3 2

Joyce, l. f. 4 0 0 0 0 1 0 0

Boutelle, r. f. 2 0 0 0 0 1 1 1

Eaton, s. s. 3 0 0 0 0 2 2 3

Thompson, 1b. 3 0 0 0 0 10 1 1

Barry, c. 3 0 1 1 0 6 2 0

Hartshorn, p. 3 0 0 0 0 0 5 0

Totals, 30 0 4 4 0 24 19 8

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard, 3 2 0 3 1 1 0 0-10

Dartmouth 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0-0

Earned runs, Harvard 4. Two base hit, Hallowell. Three base hits, Hovey, Cook. Home run, Dean. First base on balls, Dean (2), Cook, Boutelle. First base on errors, Harvard 6, Dartmouth 2. Struck out, Frothingham, Bates, Heath, Baehr (2), Joyce, Eaton (2), Thompson (2), Barry (2), Hartshorn (3). Stolen bases, Dean, Hallowell, Hovey, Alward (2), Bates, Heath. Passed balls, Cobb, Barry (2). Wild pitch, Hartshorn. Double play, Soule and Trafford. Out on bases, Harvard '7, Dartmouth 6. Left on bases, Harvard 5, Dartmouth 4. Time, 1 h. 30 m. Umpires, Wood '91 and Fearing '93.