Condition of Norton's Field.

More or less has been said editorially about the wretched condition of the various diamonds on Norton's Field, but perhaps a few words further will not be out of place.

There are in all four diamonds, and there is little choice among them. The one nearest Jarvis Field is almost entirely obliterated, and is little used. Just beyond is the ground used until recently by the freshmen. It is undoubtedly the best diamond, but in some places the ground is bare and heavy, and in others rough and grassy. What is true about the pitcher's and batter's box of this diamond is true of all the others. The pitchers and batsmen flounder in hollows in their attempts to deliver and bat the ball. The wooden home plate is so far above the level of the ground that sliding is not to be thought of.

The diamond that the three upper classes have been obliged to use is in spots very sandy, especially in the base lines and around the plate.

The different fields are too small and interfere with one another; and last year's goal posts are still standing.

It is a shame that the class nines have not had better grounds to play on. At a comparatively small outlay of time and money the field could be vastly improved, and it is to be hoped that even at this late date some steps will be taken to put the grounds in proper shape.